Pixel Art Challenge: Music Game DS Mockup

icon
Challenge winner Adarias challenges you to create a music game mockup for the Nintendo DS. It can be any kind of music game. The more ridiculous the better!

For instance, you could make "Folkmetal Alchemist," a game in which two players mix spells in time to have an alchemic dual, or "Piccolo Rodeo" in which the player charms bulls by use of his flute.

You must use both screens.

Canvas Size - Template:
 DS-template.png picture by tumble_weed

Colors - Unrestricted.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by skamocore at 1/5/2009 2:38:00 AM | 17 comments | Share

What do you think?

If you would like to comment you will need to be logged in.
Register now. It only takes a moment and it's free!

The-Xomix (Level 1 Rookie) at 1/17/2009 3:18:00 AM
I have one idea, but I'm no pixel artist, I have the basic idea, but that's it, no fancy effects or anything :(

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) at 1/8/2009 7:04:00 PM
@Adarias, winners who pose a challenge have equal if not more of a final say with any issue that arises in a challenge.

xXHalfieXx (Level 4 Lieutenant) at 1/6/2009 5:11:00 AM
Is it ok to make something like the interface of DDR?

screaminggingin (Level 1 Rookie) at 1/5/2009 5:01:00 PM
I'm just putting a heap of slimes in mine, that oughta do it. Hey I'm not a really a pixel artist, but this looks like fun, I'll just contribute anyways!

Adarias (Level 10 Operative) at 1/5/2009 1:03:00 PM
the mods have final say but i think there's a difference between a remake and a making a similar game.  final fantasy tactics is not a remake of tactics ogre nor vice versa, although they have many similarities.

Saporion (Level 2 Dealer) at 1/5/2009 12:28:00 PM
Gah, I've though of like 2 game ideas so far, and my brother told me that games like that already exist. T__T

Adarias (Level 10 Operative) at 1/5/2009 11:14:00 AM
my feeling was that ds color restrictions were so broad that they would only bring unnecessary questions to the table without enhancing the challenge. My reason for choosing the format as mostly to get people to think about the use of screens and input possibilities which are more or less unique to the system :).

Damian (Level 8 Marshal) at 1/5/2009 7:54:00 AM
whats that about? Are you joking or being sarcastic? I'm thinking more of a action side scroller type thing.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) at 1/5/2009 7:31:00 AM

I will restrict myself to making a guitar hero game

oh thats stupid -_-

First that came in my mind was to make some jazz jack rabbit 2 style platformer with some weird character playing on an accordion as main player, but that was no music game.

I think I will be going for some sort of a simon says game. My ambition for 2009 is to participate in as much challenges as I can, if I can do something good at this resolution, nothing can go wrong for the rest of the year!

Damian (Level 8 Marshal) at 1/5/2009 7:23:00 AM
Mr 7even, you are right, though there aren't rules saying you can't restrict yourself? So either way, its a win win situation.

NaCl (Level 3 Hatchet Man) at 1/5/2009 7:09:00 AM
XTREME KAZOO HERO!

7even (Level 8 Marshal) at 1/5/2009 5:35:00 AM
Well, as it is a DS mockup, it should have a color limit... But that would only take the fun away (:

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) at 1/5/2009 4:13:00 AM
lol 8D thanks Adarias...

@Jim: no one will be making guitar hero. The challenge asks you to create a game not to remake a game. If someone does Guitar Hero they'll be banned. Also, it says "The more ridiculous the better!", Guitar Hero isn't rediculous, therefore you can't do it :P

edit: If it happens to be a very creative adaptation of Guitar Hero/any other existing game then it will be accepted, but it cannot be a blatant copy of something already in exitence. ie. I don't want to see a 'port' of Patapon for DS.

If anyone is still unsure of what will be acceptable remember post your idea in the forum...

Damian (Level 8 Marshal) at 1/5/2009 4:04:00 AM
Can someone please say something like no guitar hero, unless its really creative....otherwise idiots will just to remakes of the game.

And who said that Mr Lollige? the screen is a bit off though, my Photoshop grid doesn't work properly, but that's due to the bold lines, so now its a bit of play.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) at 1/5/2009 4:00:00 AM

How do you mean: 'The DS has a way too large resolution?'

Adarias (Level 10 Operative) at 1/5/2009 3:46:00 AM
I think skamocore deserves a gold star just for boiling down my wordy and meandering proposal into a few crisp, clear lines.

Damian (Level 8 Marshal) at 1/5/2009 3:00:00 AM
YAY! good fun will this be...I shall teach you the way of the pixel young one, but first you must taste the re"cough""cough"-source.

Lets get to work then.

This Week's Pixel Art

Mrs. Nature icon/pixelartLCD Pixel Art icon/pixelartCustom NES Mario Miscellaneous Stuff icon/pixelartGeneric Tree icon/pixelart