Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 3/29/2010: April Fools Gallery Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 3/29/2010: April Fools Gallery
    Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:01am

CHALLENGE: April Fools Gallery V

Welcome to the 5th April Fool's Gallery challenge.

For this challenge we want you to take a look at the gallery of another PJ member and try to emulate their style. Can you fool us into thinking your work is theirs? Well...can you?

No list of restrictions this week; pick what restrictions are appropriate for your chosen artist. Just make sure your entry is entirely your own work and that you name the pixel artist you are attempting to emulate in your description.

For inspiration, have a look at the entries for the previous four April Fool's Gallery challenges [1] [2] [3] [4]

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The April Fools Gallery V pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

IP IP Logged
smk
Commander
Commander

Quote smk Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2010 at 1:56am
April Fool's Gallery challenge 4 is bugged :P
IP IP Logged
bitswitcher
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote bitswitcher Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2010 at 3:42am
yeah, :P
IP IP Logged
Strakosvski
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Strakosvski Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2010 at 5:01am
Verry cool. I think i'am go to start with Arachnes Monster style.
Quick wip:

IP IP Logged
bitswitcher
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote bitswitcher Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2010 at 5:32am
Cool, nice start. but you have to iimitaded his style complete. i hope yiou finish. maybe somebody imitates my style, haha :D
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:10am

Lol, doing bitswitcher :D  rough wip
The Wilbot Game Project -
IP IP Logged
bitswitcher
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote bitswitcher Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:49am
haha, nice start. maybe, if i find time, i got to fool your style :P

Edited by bitswitcher - 29 March 2010 at 10:49am
IP IP Logged
Tarenken
Commander
Commander

Quote Tarenken Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:31pm

Trying to emulate BlazeAce's style. http://pixeljoint.com/p/16805.htm

Colors are too saturated, needs more AA... might work on it again when I get bored or just submit it. :P
IP IP Logged
bitswitcher
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote bitswitcher Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:49pm
nice entries, but ''vivien'' you should add more light at your picture…
The edit you post me, is nice :)

Edited by bitswitcher - 29 March 2010 at 12:50pm
IP IP Logged
ellie-is
Commander
Commander

Quote ellie-is Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2010 at 1:08pm
Wasn't this the 4th April's Fool challenge? :P

I would love to join but I can't think of anyone who's style I would be able to mimic X]
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

Quote Manupix Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2010 at 4:42pm
Tarenken: looks good. The main problem is shoulder anatomy: try to sketch yourself in the mirror with this pose.
Hair might need a little attention too, that yellow 'horn' looks like... a horn.
IP IP Logged
Strakosvski
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Strakosvski Replybullet Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:06pm
@bitswitcher: Yes, if have done some changes. I post it later!
So. I think i have to edit a other color between the black!

Edited by Strakosvski - 30 March 2010 at 1:53am
IP IP Logged
bitswitcher
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote bitswitcher Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2010 at 2:23am
okay. add a second color, than its perfect. i think!
IP IP Logged
skamocore
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote skamocore Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2010 at 3:35am
I'm not sure what's going on here, but I noticed both you and Strakosvski share the same IP. But what I find really odd about this is that Strakosvski is from Russia, yet has a German IP address, the same German IP address as yours. I certainly hope there's no foul play going on here!

So, would either one of you care to enlighten me a bit on this situation.
IP IP Logged
bitswitcher
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote bitswitcher Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2010 at 3:52am
wtf, i dont know o_O
IP IP Logged
bitswitcher
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote bitswitcher Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2010 at 4:10am
is it possible, that she can copy my IP adresse?
i mean, im not this girl, im bitswitcher from germany.
and why i should vreate a new user, if i could post it on my bitswitcher account? no, im not that kind of human…

Edited by bitswitcher - 30 March 2010 at 7:31am
IP IP Logged
skamocore
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote skamocore Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2010 at 7:50am
I've done some looking around and it seems as though there are several other users also sharing your IP address too. Please do explain.

And I can think of many reasons people would want to create multiple accounts. Most of these other accounts don't have any artwork in them anyway, just lots of favourites and comments.
IP IP Logged
bitswitcher
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote bitswitcher Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2010 at 9:11am
But why favorites, if rating are count?
I really dont know either what all these accounts do.
Why i should to that?
Im verry sorry about that, but im not these accounts. i dont knwo how i can show you that.
IP IP Logged
Ruban
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Ruban Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2010 at 1:00pm
I can't see these "multiple accounts" If that is what they are... Being to much of a problem, unless they seem to always favorite and rate 5 stars bit's artwork.

About the contest, I might try to do Turtlechan;s style, if I have time.
IP IP Logged
Adcrusher
Commander
Commander

Quote Adcrusher Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2010 at 5:38pm
I'm trying to imitate ThereIsNoCure's style. So I'm going to make more of those terrifying monsters. I'm planning on making 3 or 4 of them. I used the base of his monsters so mine would have the general shape. Is that allowed?

Edited by Adcrusher524 - 30 March 2010 at 5:39pm
IP IP Logged
skamocore
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote skamocore Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2010 at 10:37pm
Alright "Bitswitcher",

I'm going to posit that you are ex-member Lahra. You act like him, make the same grammatical errors as him, have an inability to follow rules like him. Also, you're both from Berlin and has a similar IP addresses and use the same ISP. He was banned for submitting RIPs and colour reductions and had a very similar 'style' to you. Several people have already suggested that you are Lahra. Including someone who seems to know you (is that an admission!?):
Dignitas (Level 1 Rookie) at 1/17/2010 12:54:58 PM
Nah, you're right. You never did. Like back when you posted that Nicolas Sarcozy picture all the other guys we're entirely wrong and didn't know of your ability to draw what you see on a photo with the exact proportions. Right, forgot about that. Sorry.

bitswitcher (Level 5 Assistant Manager) at 1/17/2010 1:23:26 PM
well, that was. its not reality anymore

Dignitas (Level 1 Rookie) at 1/19/2010 9:20:48 AM
[...] I know you for two years now and I can tell what picture is yours and which isn't.
You also seem to share an IP address with many other accounts as I mentioned earlier. Here's some (I wouldn't be surprised if there are many more):

Lorenz - http://pixeljoint.com/p/26201.htm
PAkistan0 - http://pixeljoint.com/p/26415.htm
Rythm - http://pixeljoint.com/p/26695.htm
Umviuu..0 - http://pixeljoint.com/p/26416.htm
Chinagirl123 - http://pixeljoint.com/p/26896.htm
Asphyxia - http://pixeljoint.com/p/26204.htm
Strakosvski - http://pixeljoint.com/p/27075.htm
Junkiee - http://pixeljoint.com/p/26673.htm

Notice how they all conveniently have piles of your work as favourites. Some seem to exclusively comment on your pieces, all praise - never any criticism; like this. Also, these accounts seem to have slightly fewer ratings than you have pieces. Looks like these members just exist to give ratings, favs and comments. Most don't even have any pieces in the gallery. In fact the only one that does have something in the gallery (which has now been sent back), is Lorenz, who submitted a colour reduction. You chimed in pretty damn quickly. An attempt to score a RIP spotter award???

You ask:
But why favorites, if rating are count [sic]?
Then what's stopping you from using those accounts to give out ratings. This, I believe is what you are doing.

Now, let's look at your gallery. One thing I've noticed is that you always seem to skirt around showing references for your images and instead play coy by posting irrelevant images or pretending that you used no reference at all. does this look familiar? Of course it does:

Also, several members have complained about the strange and inconsistent nature of your work. Especially your ability to create almost perfect lineart, but with an inconsistent quality of shading. And what about just simply taking Jeremy's shading on the turtle?

One member comments that you posted this image one day after this one. "Such a vast improvement in one single day? Neither bitswitcher nor anybody else could successfully do that."

Not to mention of course, all of your suspicious 'abstract'/cropped avatars. You know the ones I'm talking about, the colour reduced ones. And of course the other ones which you mysteriously deleted.

Conclusion: from what I can see you are always looking for some scheme, whether that be taking someone's lineart without credit, submitting rips, colour reduction or creating multiple accounts for ballot stuffing and other disingenuous reasons etc...

How about practicing and working on areas you feel you might be weak in instead of ripping and resorting to disingenuous practices. Read through critique, study other people's work and keep practicing; don't just immediately try to find the sneaky way around. That's my advice to you.

But unfortunately you'll have to find some other site for that because I am banning you, again. You and your fake accounts too.

Sorry everyone for derailing this thread; this is not an April fool's joke. If anyone wants to discuss this further you can use the contact form or PM me personally.
IP IP Logged
tomic
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote tomic Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2010 at 11:35pm
yey! my gut instincts always told me that something is fishy with her pixels..

thanks a lot skam!
pixel suit up!
IP IP Logged
AngelOTG
Commander
Commander

Quote AngelOTG Replybullet Posted: 30 March 2010 at 11:57pm
IP IP Logged
Delicious
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Delicious Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 1:12am
Excellent work Skamocore, and nice find AngelOTG. It's a great shame, especially since the artist did get so much recognition as majority of the challenge entries are using Bitswitcher's style.

Edited by Nothingbutzack - 31 March 2010 at 1:13am
IP IP Logged
onek
Commander
Commander

Quote onek Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 3:00am
Nooow?!..... how cheap is that?
great investigation skamo!    
IP IP Logged
griffsnuff
Seaman
Seaman

Quote griffsnuff Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 5:41am
Oh wow.. Does this affect the ones who entered with his (Bitswitcher )style?

I mean im sure noone will vote for them now
IP IP Logged
Grug
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Grug Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 6:37am
Arrrgl, I was working on a Bitswitcher style picture…

WiPStopped ?

IP IP Logged
Dignitas
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Dignitas Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 7:35am
Originally posted by griffsnuff

Oh wow.. Does this affect the ones who entered with his (Bitswitcher )style?I mean im sure noone will vote for them now

As long as you don't slip into that whole colour reducing thing I don't see any problem in there, haha.
But you could be right according to the fact that no one will vote for that one ... at least if you don't make it a carricature or something, but that would be sort of against the rules. So yeah, you probably better take another artist as your reference.

Anyway, I got to say I saw this coming. This is his or her 4th account now that got banned due to ripping and cheating and it almost allways happened like this. People start believing his lies and soon don't even doubt only parts of his pictures or master,pieces as he would probably call them () could be taken from other artists. And seriously, I'm so tired of seeing this I ain't even got words for it. Make sure this does not happen again since he already deleted his alteration thread at HabboTimes, the other forum he posted his alts at. Thanks to skam for his work on this. I still can't believe I didn't even have to move a finger on this one.
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

Quote Manupix Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 7:45am
I don't see why pple wouldn't vote for Bitsw-inspired pieces. It's the submission that's judged, not the inspiration.
If the vote was now, I'd definitely vote for one of the Bsw pieces.

@ AOTG: thanks for the link, this is one step towards the image search engine of my dreams.
IP IP Logged
Dignitas
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Dignitas Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 8:01am
But isn't it kinda weird to win with a picture that is inspired by a ripped or color reduced one? I mean sure, you didn't know it was when you pixeled it, but now that you know - at least for me - there is no desirability left to it. Of course it still is an artwork, but ... I don't know. To me this feels wrong in way. Anyway, I'm not the whole community so if you feel alright doing it just go for it.

But basically, I must confess, you're right. It's about what you do and show yourself, not what the origninal artist did. I guess I should leave all that rest behind and focus on the actual quality of the picture ... otherwise it wouldn't be quite fair.
IP IP Logged
Manupix
Commander
Commander

Quote Manupix Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 8:09am
I have to agree with the 'weird' feel, but I wouldn't say 'wrong'.
Take it like this: these entries are what Bsw could have done in this interesting style he/she found, had he/she been honest about it.

Edited by Manupix - 31 March 2010 at 8:10am
IP IP Logged
skamocore
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote skamocore Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 8:15am
Just a quick note: You may continue to submit Bitswitcher inspired pieces - obviously as long as it fits the rules of the gallery. I think to disallow them would just be unfair to everyone else.
IP IP Logged
Leath
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Leath Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 8:49am
This challenge is great, but I find the biggest problem will be the judging part.

Say, some artist tend to call more attention than others (ie: Fool), so if someone could mimic Fool's style 60% might have a better chance to win than if you fully mimic a lower tier artist.

And a question, it says clearly you "want [us] to look at the gallery of another PJ member and try to emulate their style", but are we really restricted to PJ members?

Can we mimic some famous pixel artist like Henk Neiborg, who is not a PJ member?

How about attempting a CG artist into a pixel style fake, like Hyun Tae Kim, or Vovo Tzeng?
probably too hard haha
IP IP Logged
a3um
Commander
Commander

Quote a3um Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 8:56am
I'm gonna try buloght's style.

Here is WIP:

Edited by a3um - 31 March 2010 at 9:13am
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Leath

This challenge is great, but I find the biggest problem will be the judging part.

Say, some artist tend to call more attention than others (ie: Fool), so if someone could mimic Fool's style 60% might have a better chance to win than if you fully mimic a lower tier artist.

And a question, it says clearly you "want [us] to look at the gallery of another PJ member and try to emulate their style", but are we really restricted to PJ members?

Yes! that way it makes judging easier since its all here. We find the cream always rises to the top, as it should be. Just emulating someone well known means nothing.

Can we mimic some famous pixel artist like Henk Neiborg, who is not a PJ member?

How do you know he isn't a member? he might well be one of those countless silent types. I happen to think he is :p Anyhoo, for this week its best not to choose someone not in the gallery that can be linked to. There's plenty to choose from.

How about attempting a CG artist into a pixel style fake, like Hyun Tae Kim, or Vovo Tzeng?
probably too hard haha

You are always welcome to send in challenge ideas to your fave Mod.

Edited by jalonso - 31 March 2010 at 10:13am
IP IP Logged
TheHatterxCore
Seaman
Seaman

Quote TheHatterxCore Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 2:55pm
It's a shame, Strako's art was looking so good.

When you say only new pixelart, can the WIP have been from before, or does it have to be completely new?
IP IP Logged
AngelOTG
Commander
Commander

Quote AngelOTG Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Manupix

@ AOTG: thanks for the link, this is one step towards the image search engine of my dreams.

LOL, no problem. They even have a Firefox add-on that makes it so you just have to right-click an image and click "Search on TinEye" to check for rips.

It's a pretty useful feature round' these parts. ^^;
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 5:34pm
@ ATOG - I remember seeing that before.  Thanks for sharing!  I had completely forgotten about it.
And blegh.  Now I have to find someone else's style to emulate...  I'm thinking Phones.
IP IP Logged
TheHatterxCore
Seaman
Seaman

Quote TheHatterxCore Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 6:10pm
I don't see the feature.. 
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 6:23pm
@TheHatterxCore - What feature?  Oh and your entry has to be completely new.  Like new, new.  Like you started it after the challenge began.
IP IP Logged
TheHatterxCore
Seaman
Seaman

Quote TheHatterxCore Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 6:30pm
The one AOTG just said, and okay. Thanks. 
IP IP Logged
Ruban
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Ruban Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 6:52pm
OH! the irony, that in trying to imitate a style I have found my own.

I guess. My turtle looks nothing like turtlechan's style.

(Maybe you guys can help me out here, is there anybody's art who look similar to mine?)

Also, I know the contrast/colors are bad.
IP IP Logged
Onichi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Onichi Replybullet Posted: 31 March 2010 at 8:01pm
It's been a while since I took part in a contest, and this one looks fairly easy.

WIP:

Mimicking Leroy's style:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/48888.htm

About the bitswitcher thing, someone should really make an example of them to all the would-be rippers.

Edited by Onichi - 31 March 2010 at 11:18pm
IP IP Logged
kevink
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote kevink Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:01am
*spam* at all previous comments, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH..wait.. haha that was funny. *spam*

stuff I just sketched out, let's see if I can finish them this time :D
IP IP Logged
Elk
Commander
Commander

Quote Elk Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:08am
shame I can't enter this, gonna be over at my boyfriends this easter
IP IP Logged
kevink
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote kevink Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Ruban

OH! the irony, that in trying to imitate a style I have found my own.I guess. My turtle looks nothing like turtlechan's style.(Maybe you guys can help me out here, is there anybody's art who look similar to mine?)Also, I know the contrast/colors are bad.

Your biggest problem are the colors. He uses red and purple shades and an extreme "highlighted" color.
You should take a look at abysswolfs palettes as well, they will give you a good idea of what I'm talking about.

Edited by kevink - 02 April 2010 at 2:17am
IP IP Logged
Elk
Commander
Commander

Quote Elk Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2010 at 10:27am
Yeah...turtlechan should imitate Ahruon...wait...hes already doing that!
IP IP Logged
Justincrdibl
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Justincrdibl Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2010 at 11:03am
Finally finished:

I decided to go with the bitswitcher style. The piece is 100% my own, just inspired by bitswitcher's methods

IP IP Logged
Elk
Commander
Commander

Quote Elk Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2010 at 11:24am
I hate dithering... you wont get my vote
IP IP Logged
Onichi
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Onichi Replybullet Posted: 01 April 2010 at 12:31pm
Throw in some AA and I think you got it.

Edited by Onichi - 01 April 2010 at 12:30pm
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version