Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 4/23/2012: Not-Particularly-Big Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 4/23/2012: Not-Particularly-Big
    Posted: 23 April 2012 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: Not-Particularly-Big-Soft

This week we want you to pick a maximum of 12 colours from the Microsoft Office palette (shown below) to depict something small.

It could be toy car, bacteria, a chihuahua etc... just as long as it's something that could reasonably be considered small in comparison to an average-sized human.

Canvas Size - Max 192 (width) x 96 (height).
Colours - Max 12; Use only colours from the Microsoft Office palette shown below:

Transparency - Optional.
Animation - No.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Not-Particularly-Big-Soft pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

IP IP Logged
Adam
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Adam Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 2:41am

Edited by Adam - 23 April 2012 at 4:02am
IP IP Logged
surt
Commander
Commander

Quote surt Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 3:02am
Small coccyx.
IP IP Logged
MidnightCity
Seaman
Seaman

Quote MidnightCity Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 3:33am
Idk what to do to make this alot better :C

update:

Edited by MidnightCity - 23 April 2012 at 6:46am
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 8:13am
I think its both funny and annoying the fact small dogs think they are stronger enought to hurt me.
IP IP Logged
Maven
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Maven Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 9:06am
Hiho guys, here's my wip (actually my first ever challenge entry *Yeeay!) of an... racoon!, firstly it was going to be grey, but i experimented a bit with colors, and here it is:

I've tried to do something... uhm... with an uni..orgi.. original style.
7 colors, all from MS Office ^^.
Any crits, suggestions, etc... greatly apperticated. :)

-Maven
IP IP Logged
Nevercreature
Commander
Commander

Quote Nevercreature Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 1:47pm
Boron atom.

Very small. Isn't it?

IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Commander
Commander

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 1:52pm
I guess I was not the only one who got the atom idea.
Anyway, here is my atom, critique is welcome!

IP IP Logged
Erstus
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Erstus Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 3:59pm
Here's my WIP. What you think?
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Erstus

Well, you should depic something small compared to human size DEPIC SOMETHING SMALL.

Didnt you guys fought I was gonna do a chiuaua right? rofl.
Here is my pic:

Edited by philippejugnet - 23 April 2012 at 4:23pm
IP IP Logged
Skull
Commander
Commander
PJ Pioneer

Quote Skull Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by philippejugnet

Well, you should depic something small compared to human size DEPIC SOMETHING SMALL.

It's a fairy or something.. Pretty cool work so far.
IP IP Logged
JDaddario
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JDaddario Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 5:22pm
Here's my first weekly challenge. I still have a long way to go, but how can I improve from here.

Edit: Grrrr, how do I get a non-blurry picture? I am saving it as a .png. 

Edited by JDaddario - 23 April 2012 at 5:43pm
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 5:56pm
PNG or Bitmap
IP IP Logged
JDaddario
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JDaddario Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 6:07pm
I am using a PNG.
IP IP Logged
jellybeanfish
Seaman
Seaman

Quote jellybeanfish Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Maven

Hiho guys, here's my wip (actually my first ever challenge entry *Yeeay!) of an... racoon!, firstly it was going to be grey, but i experimented a bit with colors, and here it is:I've tried to do something... uhm... with an uni..orgi.. original style.7 colors, all from MS Office ^^.Any crits, suggestions, etc... greatly apperticated. :)-Maven

I like this style and colors a lot - you picked a good set of expressive colors within the given palette. But I feel like the shape of the feet are a little uneven? I'm not sure how to describe that. The hind leg's foot is a little squarish and MAYBE a little too long (I don't know, though, I'm not great at animal anatomy), and while the front two are alright the front leg on the viewer's left is quite round on the paw, maybe you could try defining the toes somewhat? :) Raccoons have very sharp claws and defined toes, after all.

The outline on the very top left (its back) is also a little uneven, it's not too noticeable unless you're looking for it but it isn't a very smooth curve.

I think the atom ideas are very clever, haha. I was thinking small but not THAT small!

I LOVE this background. It shows that three colors can go a long way and it's well rendered, even though water and ripples are a difficult subject to work on. The minimalistic colors remind me of Gameboy games.

The fairy, however, immediately sticks out - the colors are very stark, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the colors in the background are very minimalist and desaturated so it's weird to have a bunch of bright, saturated skintones and purples in the middle of the piece. I think you should consider rendering her in colors that complement the background more, maybe even the colors that you've already chosen or similar shades. She looks out of place, is the problem.

As for her pose, she's supposed to be diving, right? Her pose isn't conveying that effectively - the hair is flowing like she's diving but the feet look like they're touching the lilypad still. Her legs are also a bit awkwardly curved, making it difficult to discern what's going on with her lower leg area. Where are her knees? Stylization is obviously an okay thing, but you've gone with a fairly realistic anatomy for the rest of the piece, so it sticks out.

Try putting her higher in the air and make her body look less bent. Look for diving poses on deviantART's stock model section or Google something like 'olympic diver'. I'm no expert on diving poses, but it seems the body often stays relatively straight for most of the dive, so such a dramatic bending motion makes it look like she's reaching down awkwardly to touch the water, especially when she's so close to the ground.

Hope this helps!

Didnt you guys fought I was gonna do a chiuaua right? rofl.
Here is my pic:

I really, really love the use of blue and greens with the lighting here - it works very well with the greyscale colors in the piece, providing a lighting that is both cold and atmospheric. It feels like the focus is less on the 'something small' and more on the person holding it, though - it took me a minute to figure out what the 'something small' was. If you wanted to change that, you could try toning down the lighting on the face somewhat to draw the eye's focus to the crystal, making it more of a focal point.

The hand is a little weird, too, I'm not sure if that's intentional stylization or not. Mostly it is comparatively small - if you place your hand on your face you will notice that it easily covers most of your face. If you rest the bottom of your palm on the bottom of your chin, the tips of your fingers still easily reach your brow. If you compare his hand to his face, it's too small.

Here's my attempt (and my first entry into a challenge I think, actually). I drew a Bold Jumping Spider:

I'm not super happy with it, but oh well. This palette sure is hard to work with.

Edited by jellybeanfish - 23 April 2012 at 6:27pm
IP IP Logged
JDaddario
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JDaddario Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 6:27pm

Here you guys go. It's super fuzzy for some reason even though I saved it as a png... I'm currently debating about what to do with the background. I also need to figure out how to liven up the image...
IP IP Logged
jellybeanfish
Seaman
Seaman

Quote jellybeanfish Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by JDaddario

Here you guys go. It's super fuzzy for some reason even though I saved it as a png... I'm currently debating about what to do with the background. I also need to figure out how to liven up the image...

You could light the match on fire? Or make it look burnt out, have it being held between two fingers, sticking out of a matchbox...

It doesn't look blurry to me. Maybe it's your browser? Are you zoomed in at all? What browser are you using? I'm using Google Chrome.
IP IP Logged
JDaddario
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JDaddario Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 7:17pm
I use Firefox.

Edit: Oh my goodness, you were right! I just zoomed out and in a bit and it was fixed! Thank you so much.

Edited by JDaddario - 23 April 2012 at 7:17pm
IP IP Logged
jellybeanfish
Seaman
Seaman

Quote jellybeanfish Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by JDaddario

I use Firefox.

Edit: Oh my goodness, you were right! I just zoomed out and in a bit and it was fixed! Thank you so much.

No problem! I used to have that problem a lot when I still used Firefox, haha.

I wrote up more crit because I am apparently full of words tonight:

Originally posted by MidnightCity

Idk what to do to make this alot better :C

update:

The biggest problem with this, I think, is that you're using too many colors. This is a common mistake - the color you're using isn't giving the desired effect, so you add on more, which in turn tends to make a piece's colors look 'muddy' and overexposed. The rule with pixel art is generally 'less is more'.

You're also not really considering Kirby's shape with the shading - he's more or less a sphere with arms and legs. The shading is very curvy in places with shadows around the eyes and makes him look more like you're trying to shade a face. Which works for faces, not living spheres that happen to have cartoony faces on them. You gotta treat Kirby like a sphere and shade him as such.

I drew a sphere to try and show what I mean:

This is 2 colors not counting the outline. Quick and dirty and not perfect by any means, but you can see that it's a sphere - and that the light hitting the sphere is also spheric because light and shadow conform to the shape of the surface they're on.

Though there's very few colors used, the contrast between the two is enough to make sure the shadows are visible and apparent. Every color plays an important role. Still, if you wanted to soften it a little:

This is 3 colors not counting the outline, still not very many. It's soft, but the shadow is still obvious.

So, I would recommend trying to shade Kirby more like a sphere - if you want to see how the games did it, there's plenty of awesome resources over at The Spriter's Resource to help you out. Try minimizing your colors to see if that helps you out some - make sure every color is important and serves a clear purpose. If you're struggling to see a shadow, you should make that color darker. Conversely, if the shadow is too dark, try choosing a lighter color instead, etc. Every color counts!

Of course, I'm an amateur so I might not know anything - take everything with a grain of salt. I hope this helps a little, though.
IP IP Logged
jeiki
Seaman
Seaman

Quote jeiki Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2012 at 7:42pm

This is my Wip.. a baby dragon

EDIT: oops messed up colors while saving

Edited by jeiki - 23 April 2012 at 9:47pm
IP IP Logged
Aastikya
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Aastikya Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 1:12am
Will this work? Here's a WIP... a pencil!

Comment please.

Edited by Aastikya - 24 April 2012 at 5:17am
IP IP Logged
jeiki
Seaman
Seaman

Quote jeiki Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 1:25am

update, cant seem to get scales right..
IP IP Logged
Nevercreature
Commander
Commander

Quote Nevercreature Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 3:26am
New piece.

IP IP Logged
offwhite
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote offwhite Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 9:10am
Lots of nice wips already! Well, here's mine. Tata...

Not very creative, I know. I just need to finish something 
IP IP Logged
Nevercreature
Commander
Commander

Quote Nevercreature Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 9:22am
Originally posted by offwhite

Lots of nice wips already! Well, here's mine. Tata...

Not very creative, I know. I just need to finish something 

Aaaaah! I've done little bugs for my glass!!... Buy they're green.
IP IP Logged
Erstus
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Erstus Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 11:57am
Originally posted by jellybeanfish

I LOVE this background. It shows that three colors can go a long way and it's well rendered, even though water and ripples are a difficult subject to work on. The minimalistic colors remind me of Gameboy games.

The fairy, however, immediately sticks out - the colors are very stark, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the colors in the background are very minimalist and desaturated so it's weird to have a bunch of bright, saturated skintones and purples in the middle of the piece. I think you should consider rendering her in colors that complement the background more, maybe even the colors that you've already chosen or similar shades. She looks out of place, is the problem.

As for her pose, she's supposed to be diving, right? Her pose isn't conveying that effectively - the hair is flowing like she's diving but the feet look like they're touching the lilypad still. Her legs are also a bit awkwardly curved, making it difficult to discern what's going on with her lower leg area. Where are her knees? Stylization is obviously an okay thing, but you've gone with a fairly realistic anatomy for the rest of the piece, so it sticks out.

Try putting her higher in the air and make her body look less bent. Look for diving poses on deviantART's stock model section or Google something like 'olympic diver'. I'm no expert on diving poses, but it seems the body often stays relatively straight for most of the dive, so such a dramatic bending motion makes it look like she's reaching down awkwardly to touch the water, especially when she's so close to the ground.

Hope this helps!

Thank You Jelly for CC, it did help.
Here's the new version. I had to change the background to fix perspective.

Originally posted by jellybeanfish

Here's my attempt (and my first entry into a challenge I think, actually). I drew a Bold Jumping Spider:

I'm not super happy with it, but oh well. This palette sure is hard to work with.

I like your spider, but it's body seems off or uncomfortably bent. I suggest you to shift it's body more behind the head. The palette is ofcoure simple but it's working well and it's wise that you've used light blue and green instead of pure white for the spots. The spots on the back however look too much like reflections, maybe you find a different shape for them. Making those spots "hairy" like the outline would do the trick i suppose.

Edited by Erstus - 24 April 2012 at 12:18pm
IP IP Logged
Colonel_Bracket
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Colonel_Bracket Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 12:13pm
Blargh. Used a million colours and it's not even that great and there's already one that's way better and my life sucks. :c

Time to find a new subject I guess.
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 12:29pm
Updated =)

hey offwhite! back again? ;)

Edited by philippejugnet - 24 April 2012 at 12:30pm
IP IP Logged
Nevercreature
Commander
Commander

Quote Nevercreature Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 12:30pm
Bugs are good topic to this challenge...

IP IP Logged
Maven
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Maven Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 12:31pm
Thanks alot for your CC jellybean, I tried to fix most of errors you've precised.
And here's the fixed version.

Thanks again for help, and more CC is greatly apperticated ^^.
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 12:33pm
I guess we posted at the same time guys, 1:30 ROFL
IP IP Logged
AdamPlays
Commander
Commander

Quote AdamPlays Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 1:57pm
I did a ladybug too! Still very rough... will keep working on it tomorrow.

Reference
And now for something completely different...
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 2:17pm
wait, rules changed, draw ladybugs with microsoft palette... stop imitating someone else's idea!

Edited by philippejugnet - 24 April 2012 at 2:17pm
IP IP Logged
AdamPlays
Commander
Commander

Quote AdamPlays Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 2:19pm
I didn't see these WIPs until after I already started. Great minds think alike I guess!
IP IP Logged
Nevercreature
Commander
Commander

Quote Nevercreature Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 2:25pm
Mine are not ladybug. 
IP IP Logged
offwhite
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote offwhite Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 2:44pm
Ladybug party!  To be fair though, I think it's only to be expected that several people go for the ladybug. It is a classical "not particularly big" thing to portray. I say, the more the merrier! 

@Colonel_Bracket: Don't give up! It looks like a great start. I don't understand what the red rim on that leaf is, though.

@Nevercreature: Nice bugs in the hardware! Love the idea!

@philippejugnet: Feels good to be back Nice atmosphere on you pic, but the focus doesn't seem to be on the "not particularly big" thing.
IP IP Logged
surt
Commander
Commander

Quote surt Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 3:21pm

wait, rules changed, draw ladybugs with microsoft palette... stop imitating someone else's idea!
IP IP Logged
Erstus
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Erstus Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 4:42pm

Making water is fun

Edited by Erstus - 24 April 2012 at 4:49pm
IP IP Logged
AdamPlays
Commander
Commander

Quote AdamPlays Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 4:50pm
Update!

Edited by AdamPlays - 25 April 2012 at 12:02pm
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 5:01pm
@surt ;)

here is an edit.

thanks offwhite ;) keep it up buddy!
IP IP Logged
Colonel_Bracket
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Colonel_Bracket Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 5:56pm
IP IP Logged
AdamPlays
Commander
Commander

Quote AdamPlays Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 6:23pm
yay, more ladybugs!
IP IP Logged
a3um
Commander
Commander

Quote a3um Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2012 at 8:54pm
@Erstus - I like non-dithered version more :]

wip

Edited by a3um - 24 April 2012 at 11:23pm
IP IP Logged
ultimaodin
Commander
Commander

Quote ultimaodin Replybullet Posted: 25 April 2012 at 12:24am
@Erstus - her pose bothers me diving like that. Try to straighten her line of action a bit so it looks like the pixie girl is actually diving rather than stretching in mid air.

@a3um - looking great but what exactly is the small thing we are focusing on?

@offwhite - that is nicely pixelled mate.

Lots of Ladybug entries it seems

@JDaddario  - try uploading to a different provider as where you uploaded has caused me issues.

@Maven -Looks great!

Anyway, so I decided to play blind colour picking to get 8 colours. The pallet actually resulted in a rather simple and effective ramp (although the high saturated pink is proving difficult) and while I was origionally planing on doing a Gecko with this random pallet I decided the Frilled Neck Lizard suited this pallet more so.

So yeah that's the head thus far, got to do the body/tail section to the (our) left and then clean up any issues I find. ^_^
Before that though, back to writing my oh so riveting essay on multimodal texts. =D

Why does only one notification thing come up with the green? O_o
The world is but a shadow of emotion, cast in shades of grey.
IP IP Logged
a3um
Commander
Commander

Quote a3um Replybullet Posted: 25 April 2012 at 1:58am
@ultimaodin - swarm of spiders coming from the hole:) Hopefully multiple small things are acceptable

Update. Ok, decided to go with a single spider

Update 2

Edited by a3um - 25 April 2012 at 7:06am
IP IP Logged
ultimaodin
Commander
Commander

Quote ultimaodin Replybullet Posted: 25 April 2012 at 3:41am
@a3um - much more readable, also a lot more creepy as heck. I hate spiders!!!!!
IP IP Logged
bladeking77
Seaman
Seaman

Quote bladeking77 Replybullet Posted: 25 April 2012 at 5:33am
Maybe one day I'll be good enough to give useful feedback to others, but until then...
Here's a little WIP chicken:

IP IP Logged
ultimaodin
Commander
Commander

Quote ultimaodin Replybullet Posted: 25 April 2012 at 8:28am
@bladeking77 - The wing could be made a little more apparent. Also doesn't really help you but when I looked at your grass I noticed just how some changes in your pallet would result in fire:

^_^
Again serves no purpose aside from being what I consider amusing.

@a3um - the lime green is more venom-y

Edited by ultimaodin - 25 April 2012 at 8:29am
IP IP Logged
Colonel_Bracket
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Colonel_Bracket Replybullet Posted: 25 April 2012 at 9:20am
Looks great Bladeking! Love how the dither translates into duvet so well.

I'm really sorry about my first post, it was rather self centered. I didn't even tell everyone else how great their WIPs were looking!

Thanks for the encouragement, offwhite.
Is the aphid readable here? Any suggestions for cutting colours?
IP IP Logged
reis
Commander
Commander

Quote reis Replybullet Posted: 25 April 2012 at 10:56am

Can you help me? ;)
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version