Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: How about a game collab?(Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Demon
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: How about a game collab?
    Posted: 16 March 2005 at 10:54pm
I dont know if anyone else here knows how to program, but I've seen most of your guys' work, and they're awesome.  Ive been rolling around the idea of programming a Street Fighter type fighting game, or a small adventure game.  Think this would be a kool collab/project? :D
"At least we killed some boredom..." - Death Note.
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 16 March 2005 at 11:15pm

I may be interested in something like that... I don't do any programming myself though. Tell me more of this... "programming" and "game" you speak of

IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 March 2005 at 3:43am

I used to make 'klik' games, if you can call that programming. I've also had some experience in Macromedia Director, which isnt really as good for game making. Its really how I got involved with pixel art.

Check out:

www.clickteam.com (downloads plus info)

www.create-games.com (a community based website revolving around kliking, called 'The Daily Click)

Youre bound to find some interested programmers, and theyre always looking for people to make pixel graphics. Just becareful you dont commit to anything with underexperienced klikers.

A pixel game based collaboration, Im afraid, would centre mainly around the programming, level design, story and other key elements of a game, rather than the pixel art which we love so. Unless ofcourse you make something simple and fun like the Pixel Memory game that you can play at Pixeljoint.

I've also made a really simple Street Fighter game just to see if I could. Should be able to download it and a couple of my other games through my 'Daily Click' account.

Goodluck with this project, I'll be sure to keep my eye on it, as it intrigues me somewhat.

IP IP Logged
slasher
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 17 March 2005 at 3:59am

maybe you are talking about Game Maker, Demon? it's a great programming software, but i'm still learning though. when you guys start on this project, i'll be glad to help or suggest stuff.

IP IP Logged
Omegavolt
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 March 2005 at 6:50am

I think thats a great idea, especially for a game like a fighter that requires so many pixels and animation.  Perhaps each of us can create our own character, complete with projectiles and special moves.  And I think Game Maker would be a perfect engine for programming.  Unless someone knows a language like C++. ;)

IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 March 2005 at 7:44pm
I checked out that Games Factory, looks kool.  I know Visual Basic, but it looks as though the Games Factory will be quicker than programming the game from the ground up.  This way we can start a story board and brainstorm on the plot, the characters, the enemies/bosses, backgrounds, etc.

So how about it, what should the storyline be about?
IP IP Logged
Akira
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 March 2005 at 9:44pm

I'd be much more into it if it didn't have a storyline. All the great games had no storyline (pong anyone?) plus it'd keep with the retro style a pixelated game creates.
I reckon a platform game would fit best, we could all make enemies and junk then come together for the main character and bosses or something.

IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 17 March 2005 at 9:52pm
Sounds good to me Akira...  would make a better pixeljoint game if we had more people making various characters to give it our own styles.
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 17 March 2005 at 11:44pm
:p i will help, i may not be the best at spriting but i have some ideas,
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 18 March 2005 at 4:48am

WELL!

The way I see it, it needs to be a game that focuses mainly on graphics, particularly allowing for many variations so that the collab will be a success. This means simple would be the way to go with gameplay and story. Which to me sort of rules out adventure or RPG.

Platform could work, however consistancy is definately a thing to worry about. Considering the game would focus on graphics, attention to detail would be a major player, and if we had a mass of different artists contributing it could get a little messy.

I reckon a solid puzzle type game, or a game that allows us all to create our own character would be neat (Fighter style).

In other news, it would be nice if a groups of us with similar styles could work together on one big major project. This would require major organisation, and communication with a proper coder. It would be nice to create something of GBA quality -or better! Itd really show the strengh of the community.

ANYWAY, Im babbling. Continue discussions! This is getting interesting.

IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 18 March 2005 at 8:37am
how about a game that is like  a relay..

you start as 1 players character who runs through a  scene that they created. at
at the end of that scene the will be the next artists sprite who will run through that person scene, and so on. each scene will have different obsticles like opponents and jumps.

I Was think Monsters as they are funner to make.
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 18 March 2005 at 9:27am

Originally posted by Sibix

I Was think Monsters as they are funner to make.

Is that a sentence?

IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 18 March 2005 at 10:25am
i was thinking monsters... sorry
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 18 March 2005 at 11:21am
sounds like a good idea, and would fit with so many different styles of pixel art that are on here. :D
IP IP Logged
stryder
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 18 March 2005 at 8:35pm
each level differnt art
IP IP Logged
Akira
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 18 March 2005 at 9:17pm
Well I wouldn't want to make heaps of frames so i reckon we should stick with something small and arcadey. Puzzle sounds wicked fun so i'd be up for that. Easy to play and easy to code is the way to go. relay idea sounds cool, howabout some good ol' button mashing fun like track and field?
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 18 March 2005 at 9:33pm
So far the relay sound more fitting for the fact that there would be more than 1 style, and it would allow for each person to create their whole entire level, including Baddies, terrain, and character!
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 18 March 2005 at 9:42pm

But it wouldnt really be a collaboration if everything was segregated. It wouldnt feel like a joint project at all.

IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 18 March 2005 at 10:04pm
ok, then how about just 1 character that someone makes a rough draft for and then we all critique and tweak it?  After that we can all add onto a backdrop, though if done this way we could make a very long single level.  But I think it would be cool to have everyone make different bad guys
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 19 March 2005 at 1:15am
i was thinking the very long simple level :P

IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 19 March 2005 at 2:14am
Long simple level could work. It would be nice to make something that looks really beautiful artwise. The game could almost revolve around the background. I think it would be nice to keep things pretty abstract. Theres no real need for us pixel art fans to keep to game making conforms.
IP IP Logged
greyscar
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 19 March 2005 at 2:29am
what kind of game engine did you have in mind?

-ollie
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 19 March 2005 at 6:39am
currently it looks like The Games Factory, but i only have the trial version, but the program looks very awesome, I might have to buy the home edition.
IP IP Logged
Blueberry_pie
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 19 March 2005 at 6:49am
TGF? Hm, I suggest MMF (oh, iSTVAN did too). It works the same like The Games Factory, but MMF has way more features and is more powerful...
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 20 March 2005 at 12:03am

It will also take you a bit of time to master the programe. It wont happen overnight, but it...might... happen.

And was greyscar referring to the program or the actual gameplay engine?

IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 20 March 2005 at 11:16am
Well, Ive got the MUGEN Fighting Engine, if we wanted to go that way...
IP IP Logged
stryder
Seaman
Seaman

bullet Posted: 20 March 2005 at 4:57pm
im sorry i think i missed something what type of game would it be
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 20 March 2005 at 9:40pm
So far the main thought is a Platformer, like Mario.  But we're still brainstorming :)
IP IP Logged
Akira
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 20 March 2005 at 10:17pm

yeah, fighting games need too many frames, stick with something simple like a platformer. Perhaps a time limit/obstical thing where the further you the harder it gets?

IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 21 March 2005 at 1:49pm
platform games are brill, maybe we could invent a pixel joint character, wich could be used for a load of games, you never know what talent spotters might pick up :P
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 21 March 2005 at 6:24pm

I'm liking the ideas here... especially the Mario-type platform game but, I'd like to keep it original... not the same old crap you see in every other mario wannabe game. I like Sibix's idea of having an iconic PixelJoint character we could use in every game. Any ideas on characters?? concepts for the game itself... story, etc?

IP IP Logged
Akira
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 22 March 2005 at 1:42am
Stuff the story I say. Like iSTVAN metioned, it should be focused on the art. I reckon the story could be pretty mental like 'Your mother forgot some shopping! Defeat all the ninjas on the way to the superbowl before its too late!!' and it wouldn't matter. I can't think of anything characterwise, perhaps we should get sedge to contribute to this, afterall he IS the main character on PJ.
We should probably decide on game type first anyway, the main idea seems to be a platformer.
Does everyone agree (esp. programmers cause they'll have to make it)?
IP IP Logged
greyscar
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 22 March 2005 at 3:17am

A teenage ninja sounds like a wicked character!

yeah, i would have to agree about the story line, we should have it so that its funny,

there sould be a mixture of levels, some where you have to defeat all the *insert object name*, others where you have to dodge the objects flying at you, also there could be levels where you have to collect all the *insert object name*, this would test the players alround skills and make for a far more challenging game.

in between each level we could have like a comic style story, that sets the scene for the next level. this will help to enhamnce the emphasis of the project; which is of course to popularize pixelart!

these are just some of my ideas,

-ollie

IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 22 March 2005 at 8:06am
or we could go for the Kurby Dreamland style (i luv that game) and have  a simple yet cute  character
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 22 March 2005 at 1:27pm
well if we were to make a character that would represent PixelJoint, then it would have to be something that we could place in different stories from different games, so that it wouldnt limit the use of the character in any type of story.
IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 22 March 2005 at 2:05pm
then he would need stuff like legs, wings, magic or a weapon, power ups and some sort of task like rescueing a princess
IP IP Logged
Blueberry_pie
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 22 March 2005 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Sibix

or we could go for the Kurby Dreamland style (i luv that game) and have  a simple yet cute  character

Now you mention Kirby, how about this Kirby as a character for the game?
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/icons/icons/icon2242.asp
IP IP Logged
pixelblink
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

bullet Posted: 23 March 2005 at 8:08pm

Originally posted by Blueberry_pie

Now you mention Kirby, how about this Kirby as a character for the game?
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/icons/icons/icon2242.asp&nb sp;

You know... I was totally thinking of that dude earlier in this thread. Though I noticed just now that Sedge didn't want him as a design on this site or something like that.

I think we should get Sedge's thoughts on a character before we go ahead with committing to anything.. he'll be back from his vacation soon I think

Edited by pixelblink
IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 24 March 2005 at 4:36am

Definately a good idea to wait for Sedge to get back before any plans are set. But I do like that little head over ledge guy.

I also thought it could be a good idea to have the first Pixel Joint pixel comp, which Sedge and I have discussed earlier, to be themed, 'Design the PJ Mascot.' Which could be used in the game, promotional link thingies and the like.

Just another idea into the fray!

IP IP Logged
greyscar
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 24 March 2005 at 6:39am

yeah, sounds good, would you want the character in sprite form or mascot form?

-ollie

IP IP Logged
iSTVAN
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 24 March 2005 at 7:26am

Mascot could BE in the form of a sprite. Depends on what else we'd want to do with it.

In any case, the competition guidelines would specify, could mean both! But nothing has been finalised yet, and nothing will be done until the big S. Monkey-man comes home.

But keep discussing the game plan! Perhaps someone should create a list of things that we've all agreed on, or a poll maybe. A outline of the game could make it less confusing when deciding. So crack to it, you little monkeys- or something!

IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 24 March 2005 at 11:08am

I like the idea of designing a mascot for PixelJoint.  Hmmm, maybe that could use its own thread.

The fighter game sounds really cool, but it would be extremely difficult to pull off... I think pixelblink and Akira already kind of said that, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents.  A simple platformer or RPG would be much easier to get going and it sounds like a few of you are familiar with the programming end of it. 

You guys have really gone through so many great ideas, it's hard to contain in a single thread.  iSTVAN is right -- we need someone to keep track of what is going on.  Would anyone like to volunteer to be an organizer for the game? 

IP IP Logged
Sibix
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 24 March 2005 at 11:20am
so have we decided on a  platform. and a mascot ?
IP IP Logged
Akira
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 24 March 2005 at 8:58pm
Well I say platform and we should have another thread for the mascot comp cause even though its game-related, it can also be like a stand alone thang.
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 24 March 2005 at 10:24pm

Originally posted by Akira

Well I say platform and we should have another thread for the mascot comp cause even though its game-related, it can also be like a stand alone thang.

I think Akira is right about that.  The mascot can be adapted for a game later.

IP IP Logged
greyscar
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 25 March 2005 at 2:26am
This is a zelda style charactr, that ive made, i will draw side on poses so that he can be used for either a platformer or a rpg,

-ollie
IP IP Logged
sedgemonkey
Admiral
Admiral

bullet Posted: 25 March 2005 at 9:19am

Is he holding a book or is that the robe?

IP IP Logged
greyscar
Midshipman
Midshipman

bullet Posted: 25 March 2005 at 12:37pm
its a kind of kimono robe, altough i suppose it could be a spell book

-ollie
IP IP Logged
Demon
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 27 March 2005 at 1:08am
Alright, this is going somewhere now !  Ill see what I can do about the programming, such as working on a platform engine.  Here's a current list of whats going on...

Originally posted by Demon

Game Type: Platformer
Number of Characters: 1
Main Character(s): Eugien the Pixel Joint Mascot
Game Engine: The Game Factory
Programming Status: None
Sprites/Images Status: None
Whos Working On What: Undecided

Edited by Demon
IP IP Logged
Saboteur
Commander
Commander

bullet Posted: 27 March 2005 at 3:27pm

I posted in another topic about it, kinda, but GameMaker Would be a potential option. It's fairly easy to learn, and I've got a year and a bit of experience with it, so we *should* be able to plug through, if no better options are found.

A link to it: http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/

That means if noone confesses to having more experience, or noone is willing to program, I just volunteered to program it. :)

Edited by Saboteur
"I was minding my own business and walking across a pebbled path, and a Duck started giving me the business."
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version