Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 12/8/2008: Two-Colour Scene Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 12/8/2008: Two-Colour Scene
    Posted: 08 December 2008 at 12:11am

CHALLENGE: Two-Colour Scene

You are challenged this week to pixel a two coloured scene. The scene can be anything you like. Some examples: a kitchen on the moon, a microscopic pretzel factory, an underwater rave party, etc...

Canvas Size - Up to you
Colours - Exactly 2. Choose two out of these six:
challengepalette.png picture by tumble_weed
Transparency - No
Animation - No

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Two-Colour Scene pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

IP IP Logged
geminoid
Commander
Commander

Quote geminoid Replybullet Posted: 08 December 2008 at 5:00am
ive been looking to do something in 2 colours for a while now. I got kind of excited when i read the topic. this is what im working on so far
Im a good 2 hours+ in Already

IP IP Logged
ellie-is
Commander
Commander

Quote ellie-is Replybullet Posted: 08 December 2008 at 7:18am
Thats pretty awesome looking so far gem.
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 08 December 2008 at 9:22am
He owned us!
You have a good head start there dude! so make sure you get into the top 3!!!
IP IP Logged
AlexWeldon
Seaman
Seaman

Quote AlexWeldon Replybullet Posted: 08 December 2008 at 12:57pm
I've been meaning to do a digital illustration out of this doodle I did in my sketchbook a while back. I've also been meaning to participate in one of these challenges. I decided that his stripy tail made him a good candidate for a two-colour job. It was tough, though!

EDIT: Wait... the challenge says "scene." I took that to mean something with a background, and with some kind of story or activity implied, like a scene from a movie. Everyone else seems to be taking it to mean "landscape." Was I supposed to do a landscape?

Edited by AlexWeldon - 08 December 2008 at 3:52pm
IP IP Logged
Slemsvamp.
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Slemsvamp. Replybullet Posted: 08 December 2008 at 1:49pm

Half way tru m8ie m8s, any suggestions of colors?

EDIT: Still have alot more work to deal with on the house, the ground and the sky.

Edited by Slemsvamp. - 10 December 2008 at 8:35am
IP IP Logged
Quake
Commander
Commander

Quote Quake Replybullet Posted: 08 December 2008 at 2:56pm
Well, i've gone for a surrealist approach on this. It's meant to represent some sort of extrateresstial mountains in the front, with a moon and comet behind. I'm just kind of stumped at whether it looks ok now, and if not how i can make it better. I had some goes, and adding more texture to the moon but it failed :P I also added an asteroid but there's no place for it really...

With the added texture on moon and the asteroid (top left)

Anyway, C+C welcome and cool competition :D

IP IP Logged
AdamPlays
Commander
Commander

Quote AdamPlays Replybullet Posted: 08 December 2008 at 6:30pm
Could use some atmosphere - something to unite the objects.  It's also very dark, I would use one light color and one dark so it's not so hard to see.  
And now for something completely different...
IP IP Logged
geminoid
Commander
Commander

Quote geminoid Replybullet Posted: 08 December 2008 at 8:07pm
yeah, there is zero contrast with the choice
IP IP Logged
Luigivgking
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Luigivgking Replybullet Posted: 08 December 2008 at 10:35pm
Hi, I'm posting mi WIP

Tell me what you think :D
Do you think the sun will look good with the dithering all over the contour?

PS:Sorry for my bad english:S
IP IP Logged
Oren_shtiv
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Oren_shtiv Replybullet Posted: 09 December 2008 at 1:19am
Great pixels specially the house and the tree
but i have my own work for this challenge..

this is just the preview..
click on it to see the real one!.
Good-Bye!..
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Online Status: Online
Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 09 December 2008 at 1:32am
That tree and house look great :D
Here's mine:
IP IP Logged
Club Beuker
Commander
Commander

Quote Club Beuker Replybullet Posted: 09 December 2008 at 1:38am
What a nice opportunity to combine my idea for a challenge (pixel a theme park) with this. Ha! Finally a dream come true...

WIP:

C&C welcome ofcourse..
Without me, it's just aweso
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 09 December 2008 at 2:52am
A very WIPpy second one:

IP IP Logged
geminoid
Commander
Commander

Quote geminoid Replybullet Posted: 09 December 2008 at 3:42am
IP IP Logged
benbrunton
Seaman
Seaman

Quote benbrunton Replybullet Posted: 09 December 2008 at 6:06am

Updated WIP - should really have been working! Please let me know what you think.

Edited by benbrunton - 09 December 2008 at 10:20am
IP IP Logged
minipuck
Commander
Commander

Quote minipuck Replybullet Posted: 09 December 2008 at 7:57am
im not going to bother participating lol, too much awesome pieces already
IP IP Logged
Mr.Collote
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Mr.Collote Replybullet Posted: 09 December 2008 at 2:10pm
I would put to work at it...
IP IP Logged
Pixel-Pusher
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Pixel-Pusher Replybullet Posted: 09 December 2008 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by geminoid

You win.
IP IP Logged
fawful
Commander
Commander

Quote fawful Replybullet Posted: 10 December 2008 at 8:05am
Im entering this,not only is the theme awesome,it's going to take some real effort if im going to have a chance at winning.*Looks at geminoid*
IP IP Logged
Club Beuker
Commander
Commander

Quote Club Beuker Replybullet Posted: 10 December 2008 at 8:19am
Well it's not all about epic pwnage in skillz. It's also about creativity.. so we all get an equal chance.
Without me, it's just aweso
IP IP Logged
ellie-is
Commander
Commander

Quote ellie-is Replybullet Posted: 10 December 2008 at 11:43am
Oh well. Gonna give this a try.

IP IP Logged
AdamPlays
Commander
Commander

Quote AdamPlays Replybullet Posted: 10 December 2008 at 11:48am

Mine so far.   Needs filling out i know.

Edited by AdamPlays - 10 December 2008 at 3:28pm
IP IP Logged
Antiboton
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Antiboton Replybullet Posted: 10 December 2008 at 3:19pm
How do you make the dotted textureas easy?

Pixel by pixel takes so much time. T-T
IP IP Logged
AlexWeldon
Seaman
Seaman

Quote AlexWeldon Replybullet Posted: 10 December 2008 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Antiboton

How do you make the dotted textureas easy?Pixel by pixel takes so much time. T-T

Most graphics programs have the option to define a pattern and then use it to fill. In Photoshop, it's under the Edit menu.
IP IP Logged
geminoid
Commander
Commander

Quote geminoid Replybullet Posted: 10 December 2008 at 10:44pm
But then its not really Pixel art.

Ive done it the hard way, and its really not that hard of a way. Some diagonal lines at 1 pt and a couple of choice pixels in key locations will give you one of many different tones
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 10 December 2008 at 11:07pm
Finished finally. Don't want to know how long it took and it's still not as good as geminoid's
IP IP Logged
fawful
Commander
Commander

Quote fawful Replybullet Posted: 11 December 2008 at 6:09am
Thats some goood stuff.
IP IP Logged
Tiemen
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Tiemen Replybullet Posted: 11 December 2008 at 1:07pm

My entry. [WIP, Off course]

[yay, first forum post!]
IP IP Logged
Antiboton
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Antiboton Replybullet Posted: 11 December 2008 at 2:48pm
I totally agree with geminoid. The idea is to do it without special tools. Just basic (MS Paint) tools.

I don´t know what I did but this is my work, where I have to submit it?

Edited by Antiboton - 11 December 2008 at 4:11pm
IP IP Logged
geminoid
Commander
Commander

Quote geminoid Replybullet Posted: 11 December 2008 at 8:53pm
basic mspaint tools include an airbrush and resize, so Im gonna even say  thats a bit of a cheat. Pen tool dude....pen tool, flood fill, and in some cases line tool
IP IP Logged
AlexWeldon
Seaman
Seaman

Quote AlexWeldon Replybullet Posted: 12 December 2008 at 6:31am
You've got to be kidding me. It doesn't take skill to fill a 100x100 pixel area with a checkerboard pattern by hand... it just takes masochism. Someone's not less of a pixel artist if they use Photoshop and define patterns to fill large areas... they're just being practical. If you want to claim that filling large areas with a repeating pattern isn't the best aesthetic choice, I'll agree with you most of the time, though e.g. the mountains in the background of your piece are nice, despite consisting of a repeating pattern. However, a finished piece is what it is; the means used to produce it don't enter into it if the final result is identical.

Pixel art just means using a restricted palette and paying attention at the pixel level, rather than painting and smudging or using auto-aliasing.

Do you really think that people doing the art for the old Nintendo games, or modern DS games didn't use whatever tools were at their disposal to get the results they did?

For that matter, most of these games use *gasp* tilesets and spritesheets. Are the goombas and blocks in Mario not "pixel art" because they're reused throughout the game and not drawn again by hand each time?

Edited by AlexWeldon - 12 December 2008 at 6:47am
IP IP Logged
Antiboton
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Antiboton Replybullet Posted: 12 December 2008 at 8:12am
Originally posted by AlexWeldon

Pixel art just means using a restricted palette and paying attention at the pixel level, rather than painting and smudging or using auto-aliasing.
Not agree! Doesn't matter the pallette, you can use any colors you need for your art. For me the idea of pixel art is to draw manually with basic tools, pen, normal brush, normal color fill, lines, ovals and squares. And use amplifyears only to show your small drawings in a bigger size.

Do you really think that people doing the art for the old Nintendo games, or modern DS games didn't use whatever tools were at their disposal to get the results they did?
Of course they use any tool they can to optimize its job. But the diference is they are SPRITERS (great artist) not necessary PIXEL-ARIST. But probably the started drawing like many of us... with simple tools.

Edited by Antiboton - 12 December 2008 at 8:12am
IP IP Logged
AlexWeldon
Seaman
Seaman

Quote AlexWeldon Replybullet Posted: 12 December 2008 at 9:09am

Not agree! Doesn't matter the pallette, you can use any colors you need for your art. For me the idea of pixel art is to draw manually with basic tools, pen, normal brush, normal color fill, lines, ovals and squares. And use amplifyears only to show your small drawings in a bigger size.

By "restricted palette," I meant that you're using discrete colours that you choose manually. It goes hand-in-hand with not using auto-aliasing. E.g. if you use a soft brush in Photoshop, you'll get all sorts of different colours around the edges due to aliasing. If you're doing pixel art, though, you smooth out edges by either doing your own aliasing with a few chosen colours, or by dithering. Chances are, your finished piece is going to come out well under 256 colours even if you're not intentionally limiting yourself.

Of course they use any tool they can to optimize its job. But the diference is they are SPRITERS (great artist) not necessary PIXEL-ARIST. But probably the started drawing like many of us... with simple tools.

When I was talking to one of the art directors at EA Mobile, he asked me if I did "pixel art." He didn't ask me if I was a "spriter." I think industry people consider Mario, etc. to be "pixel art."

Anyway, my feeling about art is that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. If two finished pieces are indistinguishable, they're the same... the tools you used don't enter into it. If you want to exclude repeated elements from your definition of "pixel art," you can, but you have to exclude pieces where elements were repeated manually as well as with computer assistance. What does it matter if I drew the same grass tile identically twice by hand, or copy/pasted it?

Edited by AlexWeldon - 12 December 2008 at 9:14am
IP IP Logged
Antiboton
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Antiboton Replybullet Posted: 12 December 2008 at 11:44am

Copy and paste it's a normal tool cause you are copying what you did (simetry for example).

I understand you but I just wanted to say that the use of advanced tools for filling to give pixelated appariences is not the idea.
IP IP Logged
DanielHyaku
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DanielHyaku Replybullet Posted: 12 December 2008 at 12:43pm

Tryin it out. Not used to dithering...
IP IP Logged
AlexWeldon
Seaman
Seaman

Quote AlexWeldon Replybullet Posted: 12 December 2008 at 1:54pm

[Copy and paste it's a normal tool cause you are copying what you did (simetry for example).

I understand you but I just wanted to say that the use of advanced tools for filling to give pixelated appariences is not the idea.

But Define Pattern + Fill is exactly the same as copying and pasting repeatedly. It's not an "advanced tool" the way using a Photoshop filter is; it just replicates something you did already, it doesn't create something for you.

If I do a 8x8 pattern and want to use it to cover a 80x80 area (e.g. some grass) , I could redraw the same thing by hand 100 times, or I could copy paste it 20 times (10 times to do a row, then copy/paste the row 10 times). Or I could define it as a pattern, and fill the area. It all comes out the same, except in the amount of time it takes you.

Saying that it's cheating because you're using MS Paint, which doesn't have that feature is like being a writer and saying that so-and-so is not a real novelist, because you wrote yours on a typewriter, and he used a word processor. Sure, it saved him time, but it didn't write the novel for him... the skills he used were the same as the skills you used.

Edited by AlexWeldon - 12 December 2008 at 2:05pm
IP IP Logged
x-death
Commander
Commander

Quote x-death Replybullet Posted: 12 December 2008 at 9:27pm

[Copy and paste it's a normal tool cause you are copying what you did (simetry for example).

But Define Pattern + Fill is exactly the same as copying and pasting repeatedly. It's not an "advanced tool" the way using a Photoshop filter is; it just replicates something you did already, it doesn't create something for you.

If I do a 8x8 pattern and want to use it to cover a 80x80 area (e.g. some grass) , I could redraw the same thing by hand 100 times, or I could copy paste it 20 times (10 times to do a row, then copy/paste the row 10 times). Or I could define it as a pattern, and fill the area. It all comes out the same, except in the amount of time it takes you.

Saying that it's cheating because you're using MS Paint, which doesn't have that feature is like being a writer and saying that so-and-so is not a real novelist, because you wrote yours on a typewriter, and he used a word processor. Sure, it saved him time, but it didn't write the novel for him... the skills he used were the same as the skills you used.

when it all comes down to it, pixel art is the placing of every individual pixel. and saying that you can use photoshop to give you a texture which you can use later to help you; is yes cheating because the rest of us are doing it properly pixel by pixel and you are cheating by getting other programs to help do your work for you.

and wheather your going to redraw it all or not. it doesn't matter you should do it in paint anyway, from scratch. that way your not cheating. and anyway the point of challenges is to help people improve on areas they aren't already good at so really your just cheating your self.

Edited by x-death - 12 December 2008 at 9:28pm
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Commander
Commander

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2008 at 2:52am
Pixel art is not a game were cheating exists guys.
IP IP Logged
AlexWeldon
Seaman
Seaman

Quote AlexWeldon Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2008 at 6:02am
Originally posted by x-death

when it all comes down to it, pixel art is the placing of every individual pixel. and saying that you can use photoshop to give you a texture which you can use later to help you; is yes cheating because the rest of us are doing it properly pixel by pixel and you are cheating by getting other programs to help do your work for you.and wheather your going to redraw it all or not. it doesn't matter you should do it in paint anyway, from scratch. that way your not cheating. and anyway the point of challenges is to help people improve on areas they aren't already good at so really your just cheating your self.

Actually, most people say MS Paint is a better program for pixel art than Photoshop. Unfortunately, I'm a professional artist, and professional artists tend to use Macs, for which MS Paint doesn't exist.

For the last time:

a) I don't usually use Define Pattern when doing pixel art, because I work small, as you see above, and I don't like the repetitive look it gives. If I do use it, I go back and edit bits here and there to remove the repetition. I was merely pointing out that if one WANTED to do something like that piece with the house and the tree, it's a hell of a lot quicker to do it my way than to fill that sky with a uniform checkerboard pattern by hand. Furthermore, doing it by hand would NOT require or help develop any skills whatsoever, it would merely be a waste of time.

b) If you bothered to listen to me, Photoshop is not "giving" you anything when you use Define Pattern. All it does is copies the selected region which you drew yourself, pixel by pixel, so you can then paste it repeatedly over another area by choosing Fill. Nothing you couldn't do easily in MS Paint... it just takes you 5 seconds in PS instead of 20 seconds in MS Paint.

c) Anyway, you're all cheating too, since real pixel art is called a "mosaic," and has been done with ceramic tiles and mortar for the last few thousand years. If you really believe that the point is to do things in the most primitive way possible, you shouldn't be using a computer in the first place.

Edited by AlexWeldon - 13 December 2008 at 7:52am
IP IP Logged
r1k
Commander
Commander

Quote r1k Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2008 at 6:46am
besides, you could flood fill a dither pattern in mspaints too.  Just put it into black and white mode, the colors each become a different dithering pattern.  I dont think using a pattern is really cheating if your filling in a solid area.  Are you telling me we should pixel large solid color areas pixel by pixel too?  And we cant use the full bucket for that either?  Its the same thing.  But look at DanielHyaku's moon picture for example.  You couldnt use a fill pattern to get that kind of dithering because it takes skill to do that.  So when it comes to the important stuff, you cant get away with "cheating" anyways.
IP IP Logged
Sev_4
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Sev_4 Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2008 at 8:29am
This is the first time I enter the challenge, where should I submit my work?
Anyway, that's it^
http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/pim.png

Edited by Sev_4 - 13 December 2008 at 8:53am
IP IP Logged
DanielHyaku
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DanielHyaku Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2008 at 10:43am
Originally posted by r1k

besides, you could flood fill a dither pattern in mspaints too.  Just put it into black and white mode, the colors each become a different dithering pattern.  I dont think using a pattern is really cheating if your filling in a solid area.  Are you telling me we should pixel large solid color areas pixel by pixel too?  And we cant use the full bucket for that either?  Its the same thing.  But look at DanielHyaku's moon picture for example.  You couldnt use a fill pattern to get that kind of dithering because it takes skill to do that.  So when it comes to the important stuff, you cant get away with "cheating" anyways.
Actually I did use fill patterns, but it always looks a little too mechanical, so you can do the little retouches by yourself so the image can look it's best.

I think this discussion is leading us nowhere. Using fill patterns just makes your work easier.
It isn't like we can't do things like this by hand. We can, but it would just take a very long time. Art HAS become an easier thing to do with the intervention of computers anyway and I'm not compelled to call any Digital Drawer a fake just because he uses photoshop instead of painting on a real canvas. It's just a different technique.

By the way:
Wanted to make it more solid. What do you think ._.?

Edited by DanielHyaku - 13 December 2008 at 11:32am
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2008 at 1:03pm
I'd keep the lighter horizon line but take away the line 'round the moon itself

Edited by Jeremy - 13 December 2008 at 1:17pm
IP IP Logged
DanielHyaku
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DanielHyaku Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2008 at 1:43pm

Like this?
IP IP Logged
ellie-is
Commander
Commander

Quote ellie-is Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2008 at 2:21pm
Make an one pixel line on the horizon and remove those pixels floating around the moon.
IP IP Logged
DanielHyaku
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DanielHyaku Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2008 at 3:40pm

Hey, thanks for all the help. I feel like I'm reaching something here =)
How does it look?
IP IP Logged
AdamPlays
Commander
Commander

Quote AdamPlays Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2008 at 4:59pm

Finished! 

IP IP Logged
DanielHyaku
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DanielHyaku Replybullet Posted: 13 December 2008 at 8:41pm
Well, submitting. With some final corrections...
IP IP Logged
.:Exar-kun:.
Seaman
Seaman

Quote .:Exar-kun:. Replybullet Posted: 14 December 2008 at 9:26am
I Have do it :

But I'm French and I don't understand How to participate officialy to the Challenge, If anybody could Explain to me ... x)
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version