WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Wilbot Game Project :> Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Online
Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 2:36pm
G is ugly - P+R+8 too thin. 
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 3:08pm
Mind if I call the panda #18? (though I can edit my post to make my 17 an 18 if you like.)
Anyway, I much prefer the first, blue panda - it's perfect. It may not have panda facial markings, but looks enough like a robot panda in this game's style to fulfill all necessary expectations.

I'm calling font discussion #19: It looks fine to me, and if it looks better with Jalonso's suggestions, then that's also fine.
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 3:23pm
#17  - I think we can pull through with 6, but if it comes down to having to use more, shikata ga nai, then we can use more.
#11 - I hope I do :3
#12 - Hell yes.  I would love that so much.  I'm thinking everytime wilbot steps on an enemy, they would bounce up a bit, rotate then be upside down, then fall off the screen
#13 - ok lets go...
  1. I see what you mean, but I think people will know they can walk through it.  :/
  2. I will try that, but it might look a bit weird...
  3. Thank you!  I'll probably make it more detailed later.
  4. Will do on the sprite sheet :3  Thanks
# 14 -   I'd prefer the gear to be rotated more slowly using GM if thats alright, it looks really crappy if slowed down atm.

#15 - I'll put that in the mockup desciption over in the galleries.  Wilbot somes from Metaru's suggestion of William John or something, I just took away the 'liam' and added 'bot'.

#16 - HORRAY.  PERSERVEARANCE.  Anyways, I think we should add someone else to the team, after all, we need someone to do music (or we can use free music thats for games, but I really want to have a theme song or something for this) or someone to help with tiles or something.
And if I ever go inactive, it either means I'm doing bad in school and I'm trying to pull my grades up, or my dad grounded me or something.  Or I got kidnapped/chainsawed by someone wearing a hockey mask.  But it doesn't matter, because we will finish it no matter how long it takes :|

Oh, I know its not going to be made in flash, but when everything is said and done, what file will it be?  I'm assuming a .swf like most games.

Webpage?  I suck with webpages...

EDIT: #19
  :)

Just a quick question NC, can you link me to a game you've made before?
Fixed

EDIT2: fail G edit

Edited by TheRobinHood - 07 March 2010 at 3:30pm
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 4:25pm
Just an idea.

IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Online
Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 4:40pm
Much better font......but.........now you have to fix 6 + 9 
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 5:03pm
@ kenpokis - thanks a lot, I'll add that guy in :)

@ jalonso -   anything else? :D

on a complete side note, I think i'll use this as green avvie for this month

Edited by TheRobinHood - 07 March 2010 at 5:03pm
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 07 March 2010 at 6:20pm
For #12: Yeah, that would be quite straightforward to do.
For #13.1: Fair enough!
For #13.2: Thanks - if it's not too much trouble.
For #14: In GM you can turn on interpolated pixels, which makes rotation look nice and smooth.
For #15: Good idea, and a nice historical reference.
For #16: Yeah, free tunes would do the job, but at least some of the music would be better if it was custom built for us. When we reach that stage, I would suggest perhaps making an appeal to anyone interested on the Joint to maybe help out in that area if they can - if that's alright with you. I'm sure somebody here can pixel as well as compose! ;)
I don't mind inactivity at all - it's a wild world, right? - but if possible it would be nice to get a note telling how long ya might be gone!

GM poots out fully independent EXE files. I hope that's not a problem! I can look into other languages if necessary (your dedication is infectious, I feel very attached to helping you make this a reality!) but of course I'd then have to play catch-up in getting used to something new.

Don't worry, I'm fairly familiar with HTML, and can usually bodge together things I need, when pressed!

Ah - now the horrible truth comes out! Before getting my PC I dabbled in various kinds of BASIC on computer systems that are no longer with us (C-128, e.g.) and all my old text/graphics thingies are on old disks buried in a drawer somewhere. Then came videogames, and I went through the SNES & Genesis era playing them religiously, learning about play control and physics and design archetypes, and designing my own games - but only on paper. Now I have a way to realize those ambitious ideas with something like GM, but so far there's nothing beyond various engine tests, because I wanted graphics for them and couldn't make any. Which is why I came here - I love pixels and wanted to learn how to do it. I can certainly understand if you're going to want to see some proof of my abilities before continuing to associate with the likes of me () so I'm open to whatever you need to feel comfortable - I certainly want to be useful and live up to expectations!

That green guy is quite striking - I think he's cute!
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Ninja Crow

I can certainly understand if you're going to want to see some proof of my abilities before continuing to associate with the likes of me () so I'm open to whatever you need to feel comfortable - I certainly want to be useful and live up to expectations

No need, I'm confident in your abilities :D

(post stuff later I'm at school right now)
IP IP Logged
Petrichor
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Petrichor Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2010 at 12:02pm

Bit belated, but oh my goooosh the bouncy enemy. I could never bring myself to stomp on it because it's just too cute. ;---;  I just sat here staring at it for over a minute. Watching him squish.

This looks fun, I love the little one-colour animated elements especially, very stylish. :)
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2010 at 4:32pm
W00T.  World One tileset.  I realize that the diagonal tiles are a bit weird when you mirror them to make them go diagonally down, but you just have to move it a few pixels to get the tiles to work.  Hope its not trouble ;) For making the blocks that cannot walk through, just use the first tile and place it on top of it and make sure the tiles lock in.
Like so .

#14 Interpolated?  Googled and dictionarried, but still confused

#16 I think I've found someone who can make music, I just need to clarify whether or not he will ;)

#18 Panda - when you stomp on his head, he will split into smaller panda's :D  Then you have to kill the individual smaller pandas

#21 (sorry for jumping around on #'s)  Bosses.  Those will be fun :D  Not gonna do those until I finish all tilsets and sprites.

#22 Powerups.  For example, if I have him have a powerup where he holds a hammer, do I need to completely repixel and animate the walk, jump, and damage sprites, or can GM make the hammer go with him?
Bad example.  For example, if I make him have a jetpack, can GM make it follow him around?  I'm working on the animation for it.  I was thinking, a jump, then you can jetpack for 2 or 3 seconds for extra height.
And for a hammer, he doesn't take the hammer out until you press the hammer button :)  Then it has to re charge. (another bar at the top I guess.  Don't want the game to be too complicated)  I think two power ups is enough for first world, but I will make more in the future.  More ideas?

#23  I was talking with my brother, and he suggested 3 worlds, 3 levels each, all with one boss level, but the levels will be long (take a first player shooter for example.  it has few levels, but they take a long time to complete) with many checkpoints (like in Yoshi)
#24 Are you going to design the levels?  My brother asked me who was going to do them, I was wondering who should.

IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2010 at 4:47pm
#18 sounds fun! lol
I also like the new tiles. It would be cool to have a yoshi type character that you can ride. XD I know a little bit about GM so I may be able to help with it if you want.
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2010 at 4:48pm
Link to Main Design Document
Latest version can be found at link above; Post below returned to original version.

Originally posted by TRH

No need, I'm confident in your abilities :D
Well thank you, I'll try my best!
Originally posted by TRH

(post stuff later I'm at school right now)
Ah school...I remember that (trudgin' six miles barefoot through the snow to get to the little red clapboard building with the leaky chimney). You mind me asking what grade you're in and if you have any favourite subjects?

Ahem, back on topic: I'm reposting some of the numbers below so that it'll be easier to remember them than having to refer back to the first page of the thread (italics will be new comments):

1. Water animation. Hope to see even a test you didn't like very much. I really like the splash pattern from your mockup, with the square droplets - very unique and style-appropriate.
2. Tilesets. (1)I still really like the original mix of squares, but I understand if it's hard to work with the pattern. (2)I think there needs to be more blank space between the grass and rocks on the second type, because, ya know, it looks cool that way! (3)I think the main colour of the ground needs to be different from Wilbot's colour, whatever it will eventually be (not sure if you're still experimenting on that, but I do like the brown). (4)I think this one's colour scheme shows off the second pattern the best:

and I took the liberty of adding extra space below the grass, a drop shadow for the grass and (for no good reason at all) some highlights on the grass. I don't really care what colours are eventually used, I just wanted to let you know how much I like the pattern, and that it gets lost in darker schemes.

First set:(a)
   Second set:(a) (b)
3. Level Elements. (also 14.)
   (a)Midground. (1)looking at it, I still think the wrench is a bit fast, but don't worry, the speeds of a sprite are based on drawing location, which is easily tweaked. (2)I forgot to say that I'm impressed by the sinusoidal motion you gave the wrench! This, too is an easy math routine in GM if you need to tweak the wrench speed without having to redo any calculations.
   Image:(1) (2) (3) (4)
   (b)Foreground. (1)that tree is just a win! (2)I love the vending machine, but I think it needs to be larger, so that it is in scale to Wilbot, and so that its internal details aren't so crowded - love it, though.
   Image:(1)
   (c)Collectibles.

(1)I forgot to suggest that the gears collected for points might also be throwable, giving you a ranged attack for enemies hard to stomp on. This also allows strategy because tossing gears might lower your points and you have to balance ease with score. (2)I think the wrenches that stand for lives could line up in a row at the bottom left corner, to give a more visceral feeling of how many you have, rather than a number counter, and to mirror the graphical elements for easy brain-recognition!
   To address any of these points, simply mark them like this: '3.c.1', etc.

4. Jump. Currently a quick take-off with a bit of float to sweeten the apex. (1)I would say that his jump height should be about twice his body height. (2)Should he have variable jump height as in many action platformers or an unvarying jump height as in many puzzle platformers?
5. Programming. (also 9. & 12. and adopting old #11.) Game Maker, and any questions about it.
   (a)Animation.
   (b)Utilities. Suggested so far: Colour Replacer.
6. Wilbot's Animations. A 'struck' animation is next.
7. Num Nums.
8. Enemies. Names will be WIP
   (1) Bunnybot
    (1)What did you think about giving the bunny an occasional mean face rather than being mean the whole time?
   (2) Whalebot

(3) Crocbot

(4) Dogbot

(5) Bouncebot

(6) Pandabot

(7) Neckbot

10. Off Topic...
11. Levels. Up to four so far are planned. (1)I'm repurposing eleven for discussion about worlds and levels, since it was mentioned here on your March 7th post.
13. Mockups.
15. Title. I looked at your mockup, and it was called 'Strange Atoll', which I love so much! It suggests coral reefs, tropical hills, volcanos, caves, and so on. As an aside, it even apeals to the punster in me, because if written as '!Strange Atoll', it would read (in programmer parlance) 'Not Strange At All'. :)
16. Hosting. Current possibilities are Google Sites and Blogger.
17. Palette. An awe inspiring six total colours!
18. Music. the panda has been moved again and put with other enemies - this number is now for music discussion....
19. Font.

Yeah, okay, so.... Let me know what you think about any of these points, and if you have any new pixels (etc.) to add to any of them.

Thanks!

Edited by Ninja Crow - 08 April 2010 at 11:56am

!Strange Atoll - The Amazing Wilbot Game Project!
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2010 at 5:13pm
Going to double post here to avoid confusion. I took so long making it that you got back from school!

For your #14 (now #5): Interpolation means automatic AA for things like rotations - takes out the jaggies usually. Think of it like subpixelling.
For your #20 (now #2): Cool tiles! I don't understand, though why there are so many different heights - it'll be easier all around (in my experience) if you can reduce the tile sets down to only non repeating elements.
For your #16 (now #18): That's cool! MIDI or chiptunes or MP3s are all just fine.
For your #18 (now #8.6): That's a great idea for the panda!
For #21: Yeah, fun! And that's very sensible!
For #22: Just make a preview GIF of what you think it should look like (I definitely want to see jet flames in your squarebits style!) and I can tell you if it'll work - but if that's too much trouble I'll answer with a qualified 'shouldn't be hard'.
   And the hammer should only have a recharge time if it's electrified.
For #23: Sounds good - can't go wrong with things that feel as good as Yoshi!
For #24: I'm good either way. When it's time to do the design, there will be a lot to work with (it'll be creativity on overdrive!) and I can discuss all the philosophies of design and the necessary 'feel' elements required (e.g. surprise and interest).

JD

Edited by Ninja Crow - 08 March 2010 at 5:13pm
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2010 at 5:30pm
Oh wow.  Thanks soooo much for organizing this.  I'm a horrible organizer.

1. Water animaton: I'm going to do other stuff, as this is challenging, and I want the game to be progressing.  And I'm afraid I deleted the water animation when I was organizing my folder ;__;

2. Tilesets:  I agree about the color, but I can't use those colors, because I'm using them for the tileset of the 2nd World (taking place in the mountains).  I'll add the extra space in the meantime ;)

3. Level elements:
  a) Midground: Erm, wait, wont that mean it'll add more colors?  There aren't any colors in my palette between the cyan and light green.
  b) Foreground:  Err, well I proportioned the tree to the vending machine, and I didn't think it'd be a good idea for the vending machine to be too big.  I'll try ;)
  c) Collectables
  1.  Love the idea.  I'll add that onto my to do list.

4. Jump: I've got the sprite sheet all done, just gotta animate it ;)  It's more floaty, and he jumps slightly higher than twice his body height.  He jumps about 40 pixels I think.

5. Programming

6. Wilbot animations:
got sprite sheet done, just have to animate it too ;)

7. Num nums: Erm, food?

8 Enemey sprites:  Love the names :)
  1) I've decided all enemies will be ACAP, (as cute as possible) if thats okay
  4) Spikebot? :3

10. Off topic: Just wondering, do you live in the States?

Sorry!  Gotta eat dinner, after that, its homework time, then shower time, then read book time, then sleep time, the wake up time, then school time, then go home time, then PJ time :)

I'll post ASAP.  Send you PM on gallery site

Edited by TheRobinHood - 08 March 2010 at 5:31pm
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2010 at 5:33pm
The water animation could still be in your recycling bin. Just so you don't have to do it over again.
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2010 at 5:58pm
I emptied it afterwards.  I like a clean recycling bin, I see it as taking out the trash.
I deleted it because it sucked crap, so I'm doing another one
IP IP Logged
meagz
Commander
Commander

Quote meagz Replybullet Posted: 08 March 2010 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by TheRobinHood

#16 When we finish this (we will finish it) what website is going to sponsor/whatever it? For example, some games have the newgrounds tank in the intro to their game.

i can host it if you cant find anyone else to.

and i think you should have a chickenbot.

Edited by meagz - 08 March 2010 at 8:25pm
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2010 at 7:21am
@ meagz - maybe, we'll see :D

6. Wilbot Animations - Damaged sprites - Jump -
I'm at school again ;__;

Edited by TheRobinHood - 09 March 2010 at 7:58am
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2010 at 1:35pm

@ kenpokis & meagz:
    Thanks for your help and offers of help! If there are tasks or problems that don't seem like too much trouble to dump on you, I'm happy to accept your volunteered time if TRH is!

Originally posted by TRH

Oh wow. Thanks soooo much for organizing this. I'm a horrible organizer.
Hey, just call me the Organiser - "I'll be back...with labels and folders!"

I cleaned up the clean-up post, and called it the 'Main Design Document' (my, ain't I hoity?) - I hope you don't mind - and put a convenient link at the top of this post.
25: I'd also like to make a post that can serve as an updatable 'Monster Design Document' (since lists of behaviours and locations, as well as all needed sprites for each might get rather long on its own) and whatever else we might need (unless you don't mind the Main one getting too big).
26: One thing we might need is a 'To Do: Level One' list in which I can put in everything necessary to create a finished first act, and put a tick by everything that is already done.

Pending (questions)
   For your convenience, here is a link to my post which has some extant questions:
   I also marked the extant questions in the Main document with a red star, like this *.
   And one quick question, which I'm calling '21.A.1': I thought that a rhino boss with a retractable horn might be fun - there would be some means by which you would get the horn to retract, then you'd be safe to jump on its head. Depending on how Wilbot's moves turn out, though, this idea may become depreciated. What do you think?

Processed (answers - and also some new questions, in italic)
For #22: Just putting this here to remind me that you asked about ideas for power ups, and I can give it some thought if you still need.
For #3.A: I don't understand this question, sorry, since I don't see anything in the entry that mentions colour.
For #3.B: Okay, thanks.
   (3.B.3): Though a bigger tree might be useful, too, what do you think?
For #3.C.1: Cool!
   (3.C.3): In some games, like Spyro and Klonoa, their collectibles are finite, and if you gather all the ones in a level you get that level 100% I find this a great way to encourage replay and to create an 'obsessive' devotion to a game (e.g. 'gotta catch em all') that makes a game fun! What about you?
For #7: Yup ;)
For your #8.1 (now 8.A.1 - sorry!) I love cute - nothing quite builds an endearing connection with something like its being adorable. Go for it!
   (8.A.2): But specifically for this question, does that mean it will or won't have an occasional mean face?
   #8.D: Spikebot is fine - Main doc is updated, too.
For #10: What gave me away?

Thanks!
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2010 at 5:08pm
Addressing blue stuff and * marked items.

1) Yes, I will keep it, will post as soon as I finish/make something post-able.

2) 1. - Sadly no.  Loved it as much as you do, but I spent hours trying to get the tiles right only to find that it didn't work.  Spent a long time trying to fix it to no avail.
    2. - Second type?  You mean the walk through-able tiles?  If yes, will do ;)
    3. - Agree, but the tileset looks so... standard and Level 1 ish!  Maybe we can recolor it for different levels in the first world.
    5) - It would probably look better, but logically, it wouldn't need it as its underground, but will do ;)

3)  1. done.

4) 1. height of jump = 81 pixels
But after you subtract his body height its 49.  Jump height is just enough to make it onto the 2nd height of the walkthroughable tile.  But that's assumming you're only using those heights, which I'm not ;)

11)  How many levels per world?  I'm thinking about recoloring the tileset for world one, so we have two.

15)  I dunno.  I like !Strange Atoll, but it doesn't include Wilbot's name.  But I really like !Strange Atoll ;)

18) There are some pretty fitting songs here.  "Bird" is a good boss song.  But if we do use these we'll have to E-mail them.

I answsered some of these above, but oh well

#22  YES!  GIVE ME THEM.
#3A  You mentioned it could do auto AA when you rotated it, but if you add AA then that means another color.
#3B.3  Okay!
#3C.1 Thought about it overnight, and it seems like it'll make the game a bit too easy, as some people don't care about points.  How about red gears are throwable?  And you only get limited of those.
#3C.3  okay ;3
#8A.2 Nope.  All cute.
#10 - You sounded American, but you kept on saying 'colour' instead of 'color' and I was just wondering ;)

Edited by TheRobinHood - 09 March 2010 at 5:08pm
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 09 March 2010 at 8:21pm
How about 6 colors for each world. Maybe have black and white world lol. I think it would be hard to expand that color over a few worlds, and I think it would get a bit bland. Idk just a thought.
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 10 March 2010 at 1:51pm
Hmm, maybe.  But I think we can should keep sprites at 6 (7 if you count transparency).  Lets see what Ninja Crow has to say ;)
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 10 March 2010 at 3:37pm
Okay, thanks for the thoughts, TRH!

@ kenpokis: I would try to be more of a stickler about this myself, but then I saw Robin's newest work and now I'm wavering a bit ;)
But I'm cool with whatever Robin wants.

@ TRH: Just as a quick note before starting, the things marked in blue were things I thought were done with (depreciated) and could be removed after a time being blue so that there wouldn't be a sudden and confusing disappearance - but I really appreciate you taking the time to go over them again and add some more thoughts!

For #1.1: Okay, thanks.
For #2.1: Well it may seem like I really can't get over this tileset (maybe I can't...) but I really just want to help if I can - I'm an obsessive problem solver! So here's an edit:

The main middle block is made of two independent vertical columns (marked with lime and green brackets on the bottom), which can be alternated, side by side, forever.
   On the side of the main middle chunk, you'll notice four sets of coloured brackets, marking four horizontal stacks. Each of these horizontal stacks can be stacked independently of the others (so for example, two of the green-bracketed stacks can sit atop one of the lime-bracketed stacks) and the bottom stack is made to sit atop solid green for any desired height, if necessary. The cap of grass is just two separate 8x8 standard-sized tiles, and they are include in the count of '6' for the brown-bracketed stack at the top.
   The diagonal (or 'slanted ground') ground elements, to the sides of the main middle chunk, are shown here in three chunks (which also stack independently) as marked on the leftside column. They can be made taller with chunks from the main columns, if needed. In fact, the bottom two chunks are identical to the analogous chunks from the main columns (though the bottom chunks of the left slanted-ground column are in the right side of the middle columns so that repeatability can be maintained). And again I marked the total number of unique tiles in each of the chunks of the slanted-ground column (though the top one should be seven, since the all-blue tile is technically a repeat from the brown-bracketed chunk of the middle columns!). In case this got a little long winded, or confusing, just mark questions or comments about it as '2.6'.
For #2.2: By 'second type' I meant these. If they're what you also meant by 'will do', then great!
For #2.3: By 'standard and Level 1 ish' did you mean that this was a good and desirable thing? And a new question here, which I'm calling '2.7': Do you actually want different colours for each act of a world, or did you just mention it as an attempt to solve a problem?
For #2.5: You said 'but logically, it wouldn't need it as its underground'. I didn't know it was going to be underground O.o ! As a rocky, crystally looking tileset, that matches really well, as opposed to the more earthy look of the first version of the ground tileset. Colour me 'intrigued'!
For #3: Thanks!
For #4: That sounds just about right! I do still need to know about the question from '4.2', though....
For #11: Oh dear, I went and used '11' and '23' for the same thing. I meant 'worlds' here I think, but that was before the 'three with three each' structure that you mentioned - I'm totally open to whatever you would like (to best showcase your tiles, and so forth).
For #15: Cool, and I agree about Wilbot needing his name in there. Something like "Wilbot's Strange Atoll" reminds me of the types of titles like "Hudson's Adventure Island" but we can also go for something like "Wilbot's Journey/to the/Strange Atoll" with slashes separating lines. We could start a thread in another part of the forum asking for any good ideas, and then after a week or two ask if it's okay to put all contenders into a voting poll. 15.3: What do you think?
22.B.1: Should the hammer be electrified?
22.B.2: If it had a sparking halo animation that built up (with cute square sparks shooting off occasionally) it wouldn't need a recharge bar.
22.C: Quick powerup idea: Rock-breaking Jackhammer/Pogostick - the 'Pogohammer'!
For your #3.A: Think of Gm's rotation like in a game when an alpha effect is used to fade or make things transparent. The sprite itself will be a normal, respectable pixel art, but as I mentioned in my '07 March 2010 at 11:45am' post, anything rotated will not be, but rather drawn on top. If it is necessary that every frame be PA then let me know, but if only the resources need be and once in the game, "all's fair", then there's no problem. 3.A.3: What do you think?
For 3.B.3: Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing it!
For 3.C.1: That's fine, too. 3.C.4: But do you have a red in your palette?
3.C.5: Also, there are three colours of gear, and if one colour is special, then are all three colours special, or will you be removing a colour?
3.C.2::I think the wrenches that stand for lives could line up in a row at the bottom left corner, to give a more visceral feeling of how many you have, rather than a number counter, and to mirror the graphical elements for easy brain-recognition! What do you think?
For 3.C.3: Cool, I'll be adding that to the 'Collectibles' section soon, then.
For #8.A.2: Okie doke.
For #10: It's a habit I picked up from literature and telly from the UK (Stephen Fry is a big hero of mine!) but I can cut it out if you like ;)
25: I'd also like to make a post that can serve as an updatable 'Monster Design Document' (since lists of behaviours and locations, as well as all needed sprites for each might get rather long on its own) and whatever else we might need (unless you don't mind the Main one getting too big).
26: One thing we might need is a 'To Do: Level One' list in which I can put in everything necessary to create a finished first act, and put a tick by everything that is already done.
21.A.1: I thought that a rhino boss with a retractable horn might be fun - there would be some means by which you would get the horn to retract, then you'd be safe to jump on its head. Depending on how Wilbot's moves turn out, though, this idea may become depreciated. What do you think?
For #18: Yeah, these tunes are cool, and very style-appropriate! 18.A.1: But what do you mean by e-mail them?
#17: Having a different six colours for each world is fine (each act could switch around which of the six was for what element, as in the tile variations there have been so far) especially now that I've seen that latest pixel you submitted, TRH - but having only six for the whole game is fine too (just more challenging). Keeping sprites to 6/7 is definitely a strong point, however. But, we can just make the first three acts of World One with whatever variations we need of a single set of six colours, and then see how we feel about what we'll want to do for World Two. 17.A.1: What do you think?

For your convenience, all new questions above are given their question numbers in red. There are 15 of them.

Thanks!

link to Main Design Document
IP IP Logged
Ruban
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Ruban Replybullet Posted: 10 March 2010 at 9:59pm
Oh god I love this thread. This has to be made.
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2010 at 7:50am
Panda sprites

Will get down to your questions in red once I get home :)
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2010 at 3:15pm
8).Here is 2-bit of some of the sprites.

A. What if you try and make the enemies according to the world. I.E. Penguin enemy for ice world/level. Something like that.

Edited by kenpokis - 11 March 2010 at 3:32pm
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2010 at 4:10pm
Firefox quit on me when I was about to post :c  So I have to type it all over again, so excuse me if my answers seems short.

2.1 - Love your tile.  Its so much better than mine xD  You should do the tileing, seriously.  I suck at it sooo badly.  I can do backgrounds + sprites, but not tiles.  I don't get how to make them.  There be one color on the tile thats not on the palette though.

2.2 - Seriously, you should do the tiles, you're so waaay better than me, no joke D:

2.3 - Level 1ish like level 1-1 on Mario seems more standard and beggining than level 1-2.

2.7 - I think a new palette for each tileset for every world would be good :)

2.5 - Well not underground, but what we're seeing is technically underground.  Logically xD

4.2 - Jump is same height, but I need to make another sprite for the jump when you stomp an enemy.  I just realized, when you jump from a higher platform, you will fall different heights.  Can you just use the frames from when he's falling on the jump to do the 'falling from a platform/jumping from a platform' sprites?  Sorry if its not clear.

15.3 - I think !Strange Atoll sounds best.

22B1+2 - Nope, he needs to recharge because swinging a hammer takes so much energy out of poor wilbot.

22.C Good idea!  Power up makes him constantly jumping very high :)

3A.3 - Oohhhh, yeah thats fine ;)

3C4 - yes but its brownish red.  Wilbot's color.

3C5 - Actaully I think it'll be better for us to completely remove the cyan gear to avoid confusion as a healing.  Brownish red gear is throwable and gives you points and green one is just points.

3C2 - love the wrench life idea.  dont get the mirror part.

25 - Can I make the monster list?

26 - Yes we need a to do list for level 1.  All the things we still need and whatnot.  I think we can skip out on hammer and spikebot for level one.  I think we should keep the monsters simple and easy for level one.

21A1 - Yes Rhino boss!  Great Idea.  :)

18A1 - We'll need to send them an E-mail to ask for permission to use their songs.

17A1 - Yes, I completely agree :D

@Kenpokis - yes I think we will do that :)  Thanks aagain for the idea

Edited by TheRobinHood - 11 March 2010 at 4:15pm
IP IP Logged
DGH94
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DGH94 Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2010 at 4:49pm
Hey TRH. AWESOMEEEEE work here. :)
But you're missing a Rhino/Dragon boss and a snake/inchworm type enemy.
PLEASE consider the snake. I would make one, but I can't match your style. xD
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2010 at 5:07pm
We're going to work on the Rhino soon Dragon might be a bit difficult with all of its detail but I can try.  Is the Worm thing below good enough?  Its no snake but...

Just some random ideas from kenpokis and me :P
IP IP Logged
DGH94
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DGH94 Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2010 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by TheRobinHood

We're going to work on the Rhino soon Dragon might be a bit difficult with all of its detail but I can try. Is the Worm thing below good enough? Its no snake but...
Just some random ideas from kenpokis and me :P

Ya awesome! Who's that sumo wrestler type guy?

OH. And there's one more animal I'd love to see in this style, even if you don't include it in game:
A

mole/other underground guy that would pop up.

Kinda like the fireball in Mario. ;)

Edited by DGH94 - 11 March 2010 at 5:21pm
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2010 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by DGH94

Ya awesome! Who's that sumo wrestler type guy?

Thats a penguin xD
Okay, I'll add to monster list when NC or I make it.
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 11 March 2010 at 8:16pm
Did a little edit to the penguin.

IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 12 March 2010 at 12:22pm
Hi, TRH, and K!

There's a lot of new, cool stuff - I love it! And I'm intrigued by DGH94's suggestion for a molebot (and thank you for your kind compliments, DGH, Ruban, and meagz!).

Btw, if it's not too weird now, I'm going to use strikethroughs to mark depreciated items, instead of blue, since blue stood out too much, and I'd rather use blue for comments that don't require answers. Questions I'll still put in red.

For 2.1: Thanks (<3) but it's just a technical fix, since it was still your cool pattern that I couldn't have done it without!
For 2.7: "I think a new palette for each tileset for every world would be good :)". Do you mean every world (three so far, I think) or every level of every world (which would be nine in all)?
For 2.5: Hmm, how can you be technically underground, but not really underground?
For 4.2: The best way to answer this is to get just a bit technical: GM will draw on the screen (during a single frame of the game - think of it as if you grabbed a quick snapshot) a single frame of Wilbot's animation. And to decide where to draw it, you tell GM the coordinates in 'X' for left/right and 'Y' for up/down, using a command like this:
draw_sprite(Wilbot_Jump_Sprite,frame0,X20,Y35)
where we see the function named 'draw_sprite()' with its four 'arguments' (sprite name, sprite frame of animation, X position measured in pixels, Y position measured in pixels). The X and Y position can be changed by the programmer in any way they desire at any time before the sprite is next drawn (in the next running frame of the game) so that it can appear to move in any desired pattern of motion. That means you only really have to animate a change in his feet/arms/etc., and leave the raising of his body on the screen to the program. Phew, sorry for the long answer!
For 15.3: Do you mean just '!Strange Atoll'?
For 22.B.1+2: I agree with that he needs a recharge, I just meant that as a way to depict it there might be an animation on the hammer, or on Wilbot (much like a charge building up as in Super Metroid for example) to minimize the amount of times the player has to look away from the center of action (namely, Wilbot). But a recharge bar is fine, too. What do you think?
For 22.C: Thanks!
For 3.A.3: Okay.
For 3.C.4: Okay.
For 3.C.5: Okay.
For 3.C.2: 'Mirror' meant to 'reflect' in the sense of 'be the same as'. In other words, if the HUD element looks like the thing on the ground you pick up, then the brain automatically figures out that they are related - and everything that can be intuitive in a game makes it easier to play and more fun, in my experience.
For 25: Be my guest! Just remember to double post so that you don't have to have any questions in the 'Monster Design Document', and if you need to make the separations between monsters really clear, you can use the BB code "HR" (in square brackets, no quotes) to put a horizontal rule in your post like this one:
For 26: "Yes we need a to do list for level 1". Okay, I'll get around to making that as soon as possible.
For 21.A.1: Thanks!
21.B.1: I've heard mention a desire for a dragon boss, and I think it would be easier to do if it was more in the Chinese style of wingless dragon, which you could make in undulating, articulating segments, much as this guy is (even though he doesn't have scales or a dragon head - just wanted to show what I meant by undulating and articulated). You don't even have to worry about animating the undulating motion, since GM can move the segments in any pattern you desire.
For 18.A.1: Okay then, I'll leave it to you to find whatever music you like and ask for permission. 18.2: Just be sure to post in a quote box (type "QUOTE=" and their name in square brackets without the quote marks, then end the quote with "/QUOTE" in square brackets and without the quote marks) the exact wording of the credit they desire for when the game credits roll.
For 17.A.1: Okay! 17.A.2:Then please post a set of three tile sheets with the exact tiles in the exact colours you desire for the three levels of World One. Or post the links of any that already exist.
7.1: I made a pizza yesterday, and it came out great!
Ninja Crow's Easy Pizza Dough

Dissolve = 3/5 ounce...of active dry yeast
      In = 1 1/4 cups..of very warm water
     Add = 2 tblspns...of sugar
     Add = 2 tblspns...of olive oil
     ADD = 2 teaspns...of salt
Stir in = 2 cups......of all purpose flour
    Beat = 200 strokes
Mix in = up to 3/4 cup flour (add until dough is smooth)
Drizzle = a bit of oil on dough and then rub over surface until ball is coated
Let rise = for 30-60 minutes
Put on = greased or floured pizza pan or cookie sheet to bake
For kenpokis's 8.1: "What if you try and make the enemies according to the world. I.E. Penguin enemy for ice world/level. Something like that.". That's a very sensible idea, so be sure and put any ideas for which level the monsters belong to in the monster's descriptions in the Monster Design Document if you make one, TRH.
For 8.G.1: The neckbot needs horns and square spots if it wants to look more like a giraffe.
For 8.H.1: (I think the penguin should be monster #8.H) The penguin's wings should be one pixel shorter then kenpokis's latest edit. 8.H.2: And I think the wings should animate by lifting up and dropping back down (staying straight the entire time) much as a drawbridge is hinged. The exact timing of the flap can be tweaked in GM, if necessary.
8.I.1: (I think the wormy bot should be monster #8.I) How about 'caterbot' for this guy?
8.I.2: And I think that when you stomp him, his segments should fly out one by one until gone in order for it to be defeated!
4.3: (Yeah, this is another question about jumping! But it's so important to a platformer!) Please list the games you play/played in which you feel the most comfortable jumping around in, and which have the best 'jump feel' to you. Would you list Super Mario Bros, Yoshi's Island, or what? This will be the fastest and easiest way for me to be able to program the jump!
27: Would you be willing to make a cool/cute banner (of the 88x31 size for example) depicting the game, that we could all put in our signatures to proudly display our team solidarity?
8.F.1: I made an edit to the way the pandabot's feet move, so that the 'made of squares' look can be better maintained:

and just in case you were worried about what has been said about dark patches around his eyes, I made a test here, too, to show a way you might achieve this. What do you think?

Well, that's another 15 red questions to chew on!

Okay, thanks, guys, and a great day's work!

TTFN,
JD

Edited by Ninja Crow - 13 March 2010 at 1:19am
IP IP Logged
DGH94
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DGH94 Replybullet Posted: 12 March 2010 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by kenpokis

Did a little edit to the penguin.

As did I.

Sorry for the yellow bg.
IP IP Logged
kenpokis
Commander
Commander

Quote kenpokis Replybullet Posted: 12 March 2010 at 2:04pm
Do you know what worlds we are doing (tropical, arctic, etc)? Setting it up like such:

Tropical World: Tropical Related enemies.

Arctic World: Penguin, other arctic enemies.

Something like that. That way we can base the different world palettes around the enemies and tile set.  Just a thought.
IP IP Logged
DGH94
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DGH94 Replybullet Posted: 12 March 2010 at 3:16pm
Where's the rhino boss?! ;)
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 12 March 2010 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by DGH94

Where's the rhino boss?! ;)

Being made :D

Fixed penguin

@ Ninja Crow - I will get to your stuff when I wake up tomorrow (I have youth group tonight), but I'm serious.  You should do the tilesets :P

But I'll answer the most important one.

7.1:  Mmm, pizza.  What cheese did you use?
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2010 at 1:24am
7.1: Cheddar and string mozzarella :)
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2010 at 10:34am
Haha, for convenience, I keep two tabs of this thread open when I reply.

2.1 - Erm, so, do you want to do the tilesets?  Mine suck.

2.7 - A palette for each world :D  But we might have to make 2 tilesets for one world like the ice world, I'm thinking an icy level where you slip around, and a snow tileset where friction is normal.

2.5 - Oh well, errrrr, I don't really know how to put it into words :/  Sorry.  Its not really important though.

4.2 - Wow, GM can do so much stuff :D  So I have to animate the 'walking off a platform' still right?

15.3 Yes.  Just !Strange Atoll.

22B1+2 - Hmm, well an recharge animation sounds complicated for a hammer.  I think re-charge bar would be the easiest and the looking away from main action part would be fine, as you have to look away from the main action in a FPS to see how much ammo you have left, and most people are okay with that.

21B1 - Okay :D  Maybe it should be World 3 boss.  I was thinking we could have like a Boss for World 3, and like a final level, like the extremely long hard level in Super Mario DS.

18.2 -
Originally posted by Data Airlines - The Knife webpage

This release is free for you to listen to and spread on the Internet as much as you want and we hope you like it.

Never mind!  No need for E-mail, we just need to give credit.  I sent one just to be sure.

17.A.2 - Yours is so much more B.A than mine.  Is it okay if we use yours?

8G1 - Okay!

8H1 -

8H2 - Okay!

8I1 - That would be great :D

8I2 - Yes thats a wonderful idea.  ONly thing is, do I have to animate each sprite with him having one less segment, or can GM do that? ^^;;

4.3 - I just played all the platformers I have a while ago, and I think Mario is my favorite, just a tad more floaty.

27 - Haha, yes!

8F1 - yes!  I like the new feet plus the eyes.  I'll tweek around the colors a bit, but I think the little panda's feet animation should stay the same.

I'll double post a to-do-list.

Edited by TheRobinHood - 13 March 2010 at 10:34am
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2010 at 10:42am

TO DO LIST
  • Finish/touch up World One tileset (depending on who's we use)
  • Touch up progress bar
  • Make health bar
  • Fix panda sprite's eyes and feet
  • Make falling Wilbot Animation
  • Power up recharge bar
  • Add outline to power up/item box
  • Make gear throwing animation
  • Animate collectibles
  • Make vending machine bigger
  • Make Monster Document
  • Fix Neckbot/add spots
  • Animate Neckbot
  • Animate penguin with flapping wing/arm
  • Animate Crocbot
  • Animate Whalebot
  • Animate Caterbot
  • Make a mole bot.
  • Make a banner 88 x 33
  • Make Rhino boss
  • Make a Title Screeen
  • Make a Level selection screen
  • Bigger tree
  • Pick out music for gameplay and selection screens.
  • Sound effects!  Find 'em! :D
  • STORYLINE
  • Water animation!
  • Tilesheets for System One.
  • Decide on Monsters for System One
  • Wilbot tipping animation
  • Wilbot idle
  • Wilbot win
  • Goal post
  • Dragon boss
  • Ice level boss
  • Final boss
Oh crap thats a lot.  Did I miss anything?ITEMS COMPLETE - 8/36

Edited by Robinhood - 11 August 2010 at 1:45pm
The Wilbot Game Project -
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 13 March 2010 at 2:27pm
Only two tabs? ;) (thas' a good idea, mate!)

Note: in the Main Design Document I've chosen lime green as the colour to designate open numbers, which means if you have a question in any category, if you see the lime number, that's the exact number to use for your question.

2.1: What, but your tiles are brilliant!2.2: I'll make you a deal: you come up with the patterns, and if they tle don't exactly, I'll make 'em repeatable.
2.7: A palette for each world it is, then! The two tilesets for an icy world sounds just fine.
2.5: It's okay! Take your time and just let me know if you think of a way, or anything you can compare it to for an example.
4.2: I would say that the only things I think are needed for this are a falling animation (e.g. arms up, with a surprised facial expression - but the center of his body can stay still, and we'll let GM move him around/down) and maybe a tipping animation for when you edge your way up to a drop-off. I noticed in your to do list that you want to make a falling animation (which I'll number 6.F for the Main Design Doc), so that leaves 6.G: whether you want a 'just about to tip over the edge' animation (e.g. on tip-toes with a look of concern on his face).
15.3: Okay!
22.B.1+2: Okay. 22.1: How about having a small recharge bar appear and float above his head as he moves? It would disappear as soon as the powerup had run out. The same bar could show the remaining time for all the powerups, including jetpack and pogohammer.
21.B.1: "I was thinking we could have like a Boss for World 3, and like a final level, like the extremely long hard level in Super Mario DS.". That sounds fine to me.
18.2: Alright.
17.A.2: I'd be flattered if you did use my tile edit. 17.3: But please make any changes you want to the colours or whatever, and then post the final sheet. If you are going to cycle the colour scheme for each level of World One (e.g. brown grass and green rocks in one, then green grass and brown rocks in the next) then please post additional sheets for the other two levels (three in all, I assume).
8.G.1: Cool, I look forward to seeing it. 8.G.2: As a (probably silly) suggestion for the behaviour of the neckbot, might it be okay if its head was too tall to reach by jumping (or its neck would stretch up if you tried to jump onto its head) and the way to defeat it would be to jump onto its body (the hindquarters) which would stun it and cause the neck to come down to where you could reach the head to jump on it.
8.H.1: Looks adorable.
8.H.2: Okay.
8.I.1: Cool.
8.I.2: Yes, GM should be able to handle that just fine.
4.3: Okay, Mario it is. 4.4: But is there a specific Mario game that is your favourite of the favourites? 4.5: And do you mean you want it more floaty or less? (either is fine, I just wasn't sure)
27: Oh cool! I look forward to it!
8.F.1: Thanks!
23.1: Can we use a unique word for levels (e.g., Klonoa=vision; Sonic=act) that suggests robotiness? I'd suggest 'System' for 'world' and 'Program' for world levels, but anything you like can do - if any change is needed at all.
23.2: Do you have an idea for the total number of worlds? Is it 4 or 3 or something else? (I think 3 is the latest number, but I just wanted to erase an old note that suggested it might be 4)
26: I like your list. As for things to add, you (26.1:) did mention trying a bigger tree, and (26.2:) enemies are going to need 'struck' animations I think (with x eyes or whatever) and (26.3:) you'll need to pick music for the title screen, the level select screen, and for the level/s of World One, and (26.4:) you'll need a list of enemies you want in each act of World One (the list can change at any time, if you aren't sure, we just need something to start with) and (26.5:) you'll need that water animation and (26.6:) you'll need to start thinking about sound effects, and (26.7:) you'll have to think about the story of the game (who is Wilbot, why is he at the Strange Atoll, etc.) though this isn't essential for World One. Phew!

There are a total of 17 pending questions. (you don't have to answer them all in one go - I'll repost any that are left over for you)

Okay, fun updates, thanks team!

Link to To Do List
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 14 March 2010 at 11:04am
2.2 - Deal!  I'll make general design and try to tile it, and (if) when I fail, you can make it tile!

6G - Will add on To-Do-List ;)

22.1 - Good idea!  I think the power up should run out as soon as he takes damage.

8.G.2 - Good idea, I'll just have to add a small "falling down" aniation. :)

4.4 - Super Mario DS :>

23.1 - System One - Program One.... I like the sound of that!

23.2 - I was thinking 3 Systems, and one final level of an independent System of itself.

26 - Will add!

26.6 (all) - I've found a few good websites, some of them are 'paid' so those aren't open to us, but I'll find some.  I'll try to finish all the sprites and graphics for System one first.

26.7 - Gosh I suck at story lines.  I try to think of something good while lying in bed before I sleep, but I haven't thought up of anything yet.  Tell me if you get one!

17.3 - okay :D

Sorry for not posting anything new!  Got a 900 word essy plus the outline and stuff to write on World War II.

Edited by TheRobinHood - 14 March 2010 at 11:07am
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 14 March 2010 at 5:06pm
2.2: Cool. 2.8: But please try to keep everything divisible by 8 (e.g. 64x32 chunks, or 8x8 blocks, etc.), if possible, which is what I'm most used to working with.
6.G: Okay, I look forward to it.
22.1: That's a pretty good idea. 22.2: But what if rather than disappearing suddenly, the hits just took off large chunks of it, so that you would have a bit of breathing room to recover if you need.
8.G.2: Okay, cool. 8.G.3: But, sorry, I'm not clear on what 'falling animation' means in this context.
4.4: Cool, that's a really good one!
23.1: Cool, thanks! 23.3: Do you like it enough to 'adopt it officially'?
23.2: Sounds good to me - I'll put it in the Main DD (design doc).
26: Alright.
26.6: That's very sensible.
26.7: I believe that coming up with stories is a matter of 'question and answer', which means you ask certain questions (related to universal story themes, and your experiences with your favourite stories) and the answers become your story. I'll christen #28 here for story, and let the first question be 28.1: would you like me to ask some of these story-stimulating questions to help you decide what the story might be?
17.3: Cool, I look forward to it.
4.5: Do you want Wilbot's jump to be 'floaty' as in Yoshi's Island and the princess in SMB2, or not?
8.2: Did you think a chicken bot matched with the other animals, or was it too 'domistic animal' and not enough 'wild animal'?

For To Do list:
26.5: Water behaviour and splash animation.
17.3: Post a tile sheet for each level of World One (to see how the palette is used differently for each level)
26.4: decide which monsters belong each act of World One, and if we have enough for all three.
6.G: Make a tipping animation.
26.2: If it's not too much trouble, add a 'struck' animation 'to do' entry for each monster you want in World One.
26.3: You might also want to make a specific 'choose music for' 'to do' entry for title screen, level select, menu, whatever.

Okay, that's 13 pending questions, and for your convenience, I also listed stuff that hasn't yet been added to your To Do List (as of this post, anyway!). You don't have to get to everything today -I'll just repost any pending questions.

Latest unused category number: 30.

Link to To Do List
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2010 at 6:08am
30 -

:D

EDIT: I checked show signature and everything but its not showing up.

Edited by TheRobinHood - 15 March 2010 at 6:24am
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2010 at 10:01am
Hey, it's really cool! (But the banner is #27 )

Proudly displayed now!

(btw, if you put "url=http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9903" & "/url" tags (in square brackets, not quotes) around your banner, it'll turn into a link to this thread! )

IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2010 at 2:47pm
2.8 - Ah!  Deal.  I'll just make the general layout, and you can make it so that it tiles ;)

22.2 - Sounds like a good idea.  And once you receive damage, and the bar is low, then you lose the power up ;)

28.1 - Okay ;)
The question I ask myself - Why is Wilbot on some strange Atoll where he stomps bunnies and collects gears?
My answer?  I have no f*cking clue.

4.5 - Floaty!  Like Princess Peach in SSB2.

8.2 -  Good point.  Too domestic.  only wild animals on this atoll :)

Updated the to do list. 

8G.3 - Like when you stomp his mid section, he will 'fall down' so you can stomp his head.  And if you are high enough, you can stomp his head directly to kill him ;)

23.3 - YES.  System and Program to the max ;)

IP IP Logged
1ucas
Commander
Commander

Quote 1ucas Replybullet Posted: 15 March 2010 at 4:29pm
This looks awesome! I look forward to contribute with something.

There's a couple of excellent pixel-based game engines for Flash out there right now, Flixel and FlashPunk, that would greatly speed up any development in Flash. Just throwing that out there.
IP IP Logged
StraightBit
Seaman
Seaman

Quote StraightBit Replybullet Posted: 16 March 2010 at 2:42am
Ninja Crow: I imagine that using settings like Smooth Edges and Interpolation Between Pixels would not be preferred - they just add colors to the artwork. I've seen that done before and what you get is a smoothed sprite all of a sudden when rotation starts. That's just not right for pixel art - I think it's actually better to have the somewhat rougher edges, or to simply use a custom animated sprite for such rotations as there is more control over pixel placement. Besides, with artwork this size you have plenty of space to spend.

By the way, if TheRobinHood really wants the game to go online, you still can do that with Game Maker. The owners of Game Maker, YoYo Games, provide game hosting and a plugin to play all Game Maker games from a browser.

It's not entirely Flash, but it beats having to go through re-inventing the wheel on an arguably more complex platform.
IP IP Logged
Robinhood
Commander
Commander

Quote Robinhood Replybullet Posted: 16 March 2010 at 8:34am
@ 1ucas - thanks for the suggestions!
@StraightBit - I get what you're saying, but I can't get the gear to rotate correctly.  You can look in the earlier posts, it doesn't rotate smoothly.
Thanks ;)
IP IP Logged
Ninja Crow
Commander
Commander

Quote Ninja Crow Replybullet Posted: 16 March 2010 at 10:45am
@ 1ucas & StraightBit: Thanks guys.

2.8: Thanks, will do.
22.2: Okay - added to Main DD.
28.1: Very well, then: Many stories use drama as their main drive, rather than just simple, happy adventuring, and a reliable way to create drama is with conflict, and the most common way to create conflict is to have an antagonist (for example, a bad guy) that works against your protagonist (for example, someone like Wilbot). You can have more than one antagonist (such as an evil warlord and his generals) or just one (such as a whole game where only the King Koopa, Bowser has to do anything bad) and antagonists can be either very threatening (such as a Darth Vader type) or very comical, if a lighter mood is desired (such as Bowser Jr.). So the first question shall be:
28.2: Do you want an antagonist in your game?
4.5: Okay.
8.2: Okay.
8.G.3: Okay, updated Main DD.
23.3: Okay, updated Main DD.
1.2: How do you want the bodies of water to behave in the Programs - for example, does the top of the water gently rise and fall, and are there waves that shift slowly left or right, etc.?
30.1: Can Wilbot swim?
26.8: You should probably change your 'water animation' TO DO LIST entry to a 'water splash animation' if bodies of water themselves will have some animation or behaviour (as in question #1.2 above).
26.9: Unless you think the title music is covered in 'gameplay and selection screens' you might want to add a 'pick music for title screen' entry to your TO DO LIST.
6.1: Will Wilbot do anything if the player leaves him standing motionless long enough? (this is a 'waiting animation' and an example would be Sonic tapping his foot in boredom.)
6.2: Will Wilbot do anything when he wins a Program? (an example of a 'winning animation' would be from New Super Mario Bros DS where Mario turns to the screen and gives a victory hand sign.)

Okay, that's 7 pending questions. You don't have to get to everything today - I'll just repost any pending questions. Thanks!

Latest unused category number: 31

Link to To Do List

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version