Video Games Live

icon

I think the website's description sums it up nicely...

Video Games Live - the first major U.S. concert tour featuring music from a variety of the most popular video games!

Mario™, Zelda®, Halo®, Metal Gear Solid®, Warcraft®, Myst®, Castlevania®, Medal of Honor™, God of War™, Kingdom Hearts, Sonic™, Tron, Tomb Raider®, Advent Rising, Headhunter, Beyond Good & Evil™, Splinter Cell®, Ghost Recon™, Rainbow Six®, EverQuest® II and a special retro arcade segment that goes from Pong® to Donkey Kong®!

If you are in the Los Angeles, California area you can check them out at the Hollywood Bowl July 6th.

Posted by sedgemonkey at 7/3/2005 1:45:00 AM | 11 comments | Share

What do you think?

If you would like to comment you will need to be logged in.
Register now. It only takes a moment and it's free!

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) at 7/13/2005 8:16:00 AM
Grrrr, another link blocked by the firewall. I'll check it out tonight.

Saboteur (Level 4 Shichikyu) at 7/13/2005 1:36:00 AM

Schweet venting. Maybe this was more what you were hoping for.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) at 7/11/2005 11:22:00 AM

I went to the performance at the Hollywood Bowl and I have to say I was pretty disappointed.  Most of the music played was completely unrecognizable to me and the live action reenactments on stage were just plain embarassing.  Some of the finer points of the show...

• It wasn't all bad... they brought up some of the musicians and game designers to speak which was a real treat. They really seemed honored and humbled by the event. One of the coolest parts of the show being in Los Angeles was all the people available to show up... the creators of Earthworm Jim and Ratchet and Clank (personal favorites) along with a ton of other game developers were brought up on stage at the end of the show.
  • Most of the music was from games made in the last couple of years -- hardly any games from the 8/16 bit days. I guess this appeals to some people but it seems pointless to me since a lot of modern games actually have orchestral scores in them anyway.  They're just playing a live version of something you've already heard.
  • The music I did recognize seemed to be from cut scenes/end credits/introductions.  While playing a game I watch a cutscene once or maybe twice so that music doesn't really mean anything to me.  I wanted to hear music that actually plays WHILE YOU ARE PLAYING. The major exception to this was the excellent Mario medley.
  • They brought a couple of people up to play Frogger while the orchestra played along with them.  It sounds like a neat idea, but it doesn't work very well with a game like Frogger where an average "life" lasts about three seconds.  It was just a mess.
  • During every song they played clips from the games while the orchestra played.  Unfortunately most of the clips didn't seem to have any kind of coordination with the music.

If you are a fan of going to the concert hall and you like videogames this will probably be up your alley, but for uncultured joe sixpack (me) it was pretty damn boring.  I was hoping they would be recreating some of the classic sound effects while they played the music or maybe even play a few recognizable songs for fuck's sake, but no such luck.

Whew, feels good to vent.

BruceJuice (Level 4 Mercenary) at 7/10/2005 6:37:00 PM
 If i lived near that area, I'd go. sounds like something that'd be quite awesome to see.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) at 7/5/2005 12:16:00 PM

Yay, I'm going tomorrow night!  I haven't played half the games in the list, but I think  it'll still be a good time.

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) at 7/5/2005 11:13:00 AM
I love the Halo soundtrack.  It also made you feel as though you were in a movie.  It never got in the way of the fantastic gameplay, and was fun to listen to anyway.

Luke_is_Gawd (Level 3 Private Eye) at 7/5/2005 11:09:00 AM
 Sucks for me, i live in Kentucky.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) at 7/4/2005 3:54:00 AM
 I would have loved to have heard the Castlevania and Beyond Good & Evil parts.

Oh yeah.. I hate the Sonic music as much as I hate the gameplay.  Especially all those damn J-rock/pop songs they did of them that I'd hear every damn time I went into the import games shop.  So much damn cheesy crap.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) at 7/3/2005 11:29:00 PM

Medal of Honor was some of the most outstanding music I had heard in a game at the time... it would swell at just the right moments and really make you feel like you were playing a part in a movie.  Call of Duty ended up improving on that formula but MoH will always stand out as a classic game for utilizing music/sound to enhance the experience.

Zelda should win some sort of award for its subtle brilliance on the 8 bit scene.  Even after a zillion hours of gameplay the music never once got annoying (certainly can't say the same for Super Mario).

1ucas (Level 5 Soldier) at 7/3/2005 8:39:00 PM
Ooh, the ones that got me interested were: Warcraft (WII has a great soundtrack), Medal of Honor (hooray for Michael Giacchino) and Sonic (the MegaDrive\Genesis soundtracks rule). Mario and Zelda have been done way too many times. Sonic has much better music than Mario, yet they never made a Sonic concert. :| Nintendo sucks! (althought they should make a Super Metroid orchestral concert... the medley in OGC wasn't so cool)

Dejital (Level 5 Sniper) at 7/3/2005 2:48:00 PM
 The first two sound good.

This Week's Pixel Art

Mandelbrain icon/pixelartAbraham Lincoln icon/pixelartmagical girl metamorpher icon/pixelartWinter scene #2 icon/pixelart