Pixel Art Challenge: World Leader Caricature

icon

Create a caricature of one of the current world leaders listed on this page. As it is a caricature you should be trying to emphasise and de-emphasise certain characteristics in order to depict your chosen leader. It does not have to be the leader of your own country. Also, please make sure to tell us in your description who your leader is.

Bonus points for not doing Barack Obama*
*not really.

This piece by Jalonso may give you inspiration for this challenge.

Canvas Size - Max 128 x 128.
Colours - Max 32.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - No.

Posted by skamocore at 8/3/2009 12:02:00 AM | 25 comments | Share

What do you think?

If you would like to comment you will need to be logged in.
Register now. It only takes a moment and it's free!

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) at 8/6/2009 9:35:00 AM

Sure, but the leader should remain the focus of the image.

asukicco (Level 8 Regional Boss) at 8/6/2009 9:09:00 AM

Can I put the Leader with a second person to emphasise a habit of him? (like going out with escorts?)

jamesmorrow07 (Level 1 Jukyu) at 8/6/2009 12:03:00 AM

YES!   lml (>.<) lml

ui_ (Level 4 Deputy) at 8/5/2009 5:06:00 PM

@skamocore, it was a joke :D...  (if you still dont get the joke), well im from venezuela...

sharprm (Level 4 Deputy) at 8/5/2009 2:17:00 PM

'Nuclear war' for amiga could be some good inspiration. http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/nuclear-war/screenshots/gameShotId,203757/

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) at 8/5/2009 8:17:00 AM

@ ui_ - What do you mean? If you are saying that he is not on the list, well...he is. If you were searching for Chavez then you won't find anything, but if you look for Chávez, then you should be able to find him. I assume that's what you're refering to, otherwise, I'm still confused.

@Hatch/onek - the canvas restrictions are in regular square pixels as always.

@jamesmorrow07 - You can enter as many as you like.

ui_ (Level 4 Deputy) at 8/5/2009 7:04:00 AM

And Bonus points for not doing Chavez!!!

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) at 8/4/2009 6:57:00 AM

I don't understand why a 256x128 widepixel wouldn't be accepted. You're still working with 128*128 pixels, it's just that our monitors can't display them properly, so we have to cheat by stretching them. The 256 is completely artificial.

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) at 8/4/2009 6:51:00 AM

Sorry, Skamocore, there isn't the space available to do what I have in my head, but I am making it in Flash and a fun pic anyway.

jamesmorrow07 (Level 1 Jukyu) at 8/4/2009 12:48:00 AM

I think I'monna give this one a shot.

Say. How many pieces can yew enter?

onek (Level 6 Hitman) at 8/4/2009 12:17:00 AM

ah ok, thx, but i think im gonna do a widepixel, post it in normal resolution and make a link to the widepixel version then

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) at 8/3/2009 10:51:00 PM

@Elk - Dalai Lama would be cool but unfortunately no. I'm sure you can think of other leaders you would like to do D:

@Inq - >( Do it.

@onek - No, but you could do 64 x 128 in widepixel.

Elk (Level 3 Stalker) at 8/3/2009 10:38:00 PM

A wite pixel piece doesn't have to be bigger than the canvas...don't understand you there

Argyle (Level 5 Assistant Manager) at 8/3/2009 6:59:00 PM

128x128 is the final canvas size's limitation, so no to a wider canvas to accomodate widepixel tech.

onek (Level 6 Hitman) at 8/3/2009 4:48:00 PM

im thinking on entering this one.... already have an idea, im planning to do a wide pixel piece... so would it be ok to do 256x 128 px, technically  that would be 128 x 128 than?

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) at 8/3/2009 2:26:00 PM

Count me in...or at least I'll try and get an entry done in time. I knew which leader I wanted to do the second I read the instructions. :D

....or maybe not. The image size restrictions are much too small for my liking on this one.

Elk (Level 3 Stalker) at 8/3/2009 11:42:00 AM

I want to do the Dalai lama :(

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) at 8/3/2009 8:12:00 AM

Only current leaders. So yes, just the ones on that list.

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) at 8/3/2009 8:05:00 AM

Is the list mandatory? Meaning, no past leaders?

I've always loved the Jimmy Carter and the Killer Rabbit story.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) at 8/3/2009 3:13:00 AM

No, just one image per submission. If you make multiple caricatures post them individually.

Also, yes you can do a background, especially if it helps to emphasise your leader's traits - if your leader likes fish maybe put them in a fish tank surrounded by fish, for example. But make sure the focus still remains on the person.

asukicco (Level 8 Regional Boss) at 8/3/2009 3:06:00 AM

This is great! I'm gonna partecipate. Can I put different caricatures of the same leader in a single piece? (Also, are scenes/bgs allowed?)

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) at 8/3/2009 2:43:00 AM

Whatever you think works best.

Quake (Level 2 Hired Gun) at 8/3/2009 2:15:00 AM

Does it need to be a portrait, or full body?

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) at 8/3/2009 12:54:00 AM

Either. For example, if you are doing someone particularly crazy, emphasise their craziness.

Have a good look around at some examples of caricatures for inspiration.

jamesmorrow07 (Level 1 Jukyu) at 8/3/2009 12:26:00 AM

What do you mean by characteristics? Is it the physical part or is it like what he/she does? Just wondering.

This Week's Pixel Art

Samuel's File icon/pixelartTechnomanser icon/pixelartMage Girl icon/pixelartTwitchy icon/pixelart